• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install XP Pro in Win64?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTrO bOiE

Ok, so I formated this morning because I had some problems. I then decided what the hey, since I'm starting from scratch might as well install 64bit. WRONG! I had no idea 64bit windows has securom errors (you can't play any game that needs a cd without using a crack which is no good if you want to play online :mad: ). And now that I want my 32bit pro back, it won't let me install the damn thing. The "Install Windows XP" button is grayed out. And it won't do it from DOS either. :mad: Anyone have any suggestions?

it should do it from boot from cd from as tyour bios option.

Also, isnt the Windows XP 64 bit eddition beta still?

Yea i thought its beta. and u have the 64bit edition right? not taking ur 32bit xp cd and installing it?

I know the amd64bits have 32-16 compatability...so i wonder if itd even install....

My best guess to the button being grayed out is that he is trying to install from Windows 64bit. This would make sense, as usually Windows won't let you install an older version from within Windows. Boot from the CD and you shouldn't have any problems doing a format and install of Windows XP Pro.

As ErikD pointed out windows wont let you "downgrade" from 64(or any other version IIRC), you will have to boot from the CD, and im pretty sure that a repair install wouldnt work over win64, so would be best if you backed up anything you dont want to lose to a seperate drive. Then proceed to do a fresh install(as in format, then install).

K, thanks guys. I got it up and working now. Format wasn't a drawback since I have my windows on the raptor and all my programs on the Hitachi.

Back