• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question bout clamps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mR|bUNgLe

I read somewere that over tightning metal wormdrive clamps, can actualycause leaks.
How is this?
is it from cracks, or over sized tube folding?

mine are cranked pretty good but it doesnt seem to be leaking...now

How tight is to tight?

Couple this with the fact that some people are saying that they're run without clamping devices and you have to wonder. ;)

There's no reason to NOT clamp your hoses, but at the exact opposite, there's no reason to OVERclamp your hoses. Tightening your hoseclamps to 4000lbs/in^2 would seal your 1/2" silicon hose no better than about 2lb/in^2.

You need only to tighten them enough to stay put. If you have to tighten them any more to stop a leak, there is likely something else wrong either with the hose or the barb you're using.

:) There's one huge reason not to clamp, the barbs you have simply may not require it. Why add complication if it isn't needed? If all the barbs in my loop were as well-designed as the ones on my res I wouldn't waste my time with nylon or screw clamps. And let's not forget, in our rush to a defacto "standard", that some hose types make adhesion to barbs much more secure by virtue of their stickiness.

When I'm dealing with more or less $1K worth of computer equipment, I tend to take all precautions I can to prevent leaks. I don't think tubing clamps add enough complexity to warrant not bothering with them.

ZachM said:
When I'm dealing with more or less $1K worth of computer equipment, I tend to take all precautions I can to prevent leaks. I don't think tubing clamps add enough complexity to warrant not bothering with them.

Ditto. Hose barbs may not leak now, but you don't know that someone won't bump your computer... pull on a tube... whatever

ZachM said:

Understood, but I was in no way challenging your right to use whatever precautions you deem necessary. However, if something isn't needed it just isn't. On the contrary, I think they do add complexity, by definition. If you use the less dangerous nylon clamps you DO have to be careful in terms of placement along the barb and in the pressure you use to apply them. In spiral clamps you have all the POTENTIAL problems of nylon clamps with the added hazard of them being relatively easy to over-tighten.

AGAIN, you can use whatever you want. But if I can reduce the number of parts comprising my loop without loosing overall integrity and security, I will.

www.dictionary.com said:
se·cu·ri·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (s-kyr-t)
n. pl. se·cu·ri·ties
  • Freedom from risk or danger; safety.
  • Freedom from doubt, anxiety, or fear; confidence.
  • Something that gives or assures safety, as:
    A group or department of private guards: Call building security if a visitor acts suspicious.
    Measures adopted by a government to prevent espionage, sabotage, or attack.
    Measures adopted, as by a business or homeowner, to prevent a crime such as burglary or assault: Security was lax at the firm's smaller plant.
    Measures adopted to prevent escape: Security in the prison is very tight.
  • Something deposited or given as assurance of the fulfillment of an obligation; a pledge.
  • One who undertakes to fulfill the obligation of another; a surety.
  • A document indicating ownership or creditorship; a stock certificate or bond.

Emphasis mine... Hoseclamps are security, not using hoseclamps would definitely fit in the "less secure" category. All it could take is a good bump, shake, or a screw somehow backing loose and your reservoir tries to fall down and tugs against the hoses.

A clamp would keep it watertight in all scenarios. Not having a clamp, well, wouldn't...

As for complexity? A hoseclamp is no more complex than a pencil sharpener. It doesn't take a $50 torque wrench to know when you're clamping too tight, and it doesn't require a genious to figure out how to strap them to the proper point in the barb.

All my barbs are "barbed", and they all have hose clamps. I can quite literally pick up my entire watercooling system by the radiator and everything else will hang on by the hoses. This will never happen while it's running in my computer, but knowing that it has that kind of integrity to the system is quite calming to me. Especially when, as someone else mentioned, all that water is within several millimeters of the most expensive pieces in my computer.

Last edited:
:p Geez! "And aliens might come down and shake my case upside down, so I MUST have clamps!!! And no one (in this open forum) should feel any different!!!" Guys, I use clamps, of both types. I'm just willing to entertain the idea, based on observation and engineering, that they might not be needed for a leak-free system. Hurried trips trips to dictionary.com and super-heated rhetoric won't change the way I think.

RedViper said:
:p Geez! "And aliens might come down and shake my case upside down, so I MUST have clamps!!! And no one (in this open forum) should feel any different!!!" Guys, I use clamps, of both types. I'm just willing to entertain the idea, based on observation and engineering, that they might not be needed for a leak-free system. Hurried trips trips to dictionary.com and super-heated rhetoric won't change the way I think.

Um yeah... a computer case falling over is such a far-fetched idea...

RedViper said:

what about Cathar running without hose clamps and then drenching his motherboard?

going to dig up the thread now

greenman100 said:
what about Cathar running without hose clamps and then drenching his motherboard?

going to dig up the thread now

Mind you, I did have around 15PSI of pressure going into the block at the time.

For less highly powered systems (most everyone) that typically operate in the 2-3PSI range I do believe that one can usually get by without using clamps so long as the tubing is biting into the barb pretty well.

squeakygeek said:
Um yeah... a computer case falling over is such a far-fetched idea...

This is pathetic. How often do I have to say that I don't CARE what anyone else uses? For me, I'll keep an open mind. If this posture offends any of you then too bad.

Now that Cathar has said that barbs MAY not be needed, I'm waiting to see if you guys level some of your irrational attacks on him. Well?

BTW Cathar, I admire your oft-copied contributions to water-cooling. I hope I can find one of your blocks for my next refit. :thup:

RedViper said:
This is pathetic. How often do I have to say that I don't CARE what anyone else uses? For me, I'll keep an open mind. If this posture offends any of you then too bad.

Now that Cathar has said that barbs MAY not be needed, I'm waiting to see if you guys level some of your irrational attacks on him. Well?

BTW Cathar, I admire your oft-copied contributions to water-cooling. I hope I can find one of your blocks for my next refit. :thup:

ok, run your system without barbs and see what happens

haha

Cathar said:
For less highly powered systems (most everyone) that typically operate in the 2-3PSI range I do believe that one can usually get by without using clamps so long as the tubing is biting into the barb pretty well.

is $5 for clamps too much to insure against a fried $120 motherboard?

spend $150 to watercool, but $5 is too much to hold it all together...I have a lot of respect for you, Cathar, but I do not understand your decision to go without clamps for so long.

Cathar said:
Mind you, I did have around 15PSI of pressure going into the block at the time.

i agree, i don't use clamps, BUT once my hose is on you can't pull it off ;)

i have to cut the hose away, so clamps will not help me

really down to the user, and what tubing you are using.

(hmm i need to sleep ;) )

Back