• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fedco 2-342 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mribnik

Well, I was looking at my pc-75 and holding the heatercore up to where I was going to mount it. There seems to be a problem that I didn't think about. The heatercore is about 2 inches thick, I'm getting 38mm fans, and want to use a 1.5" shroud. That totals about 5 inches. Now, the distance between the top of the case and the power supply is about 5.5 inches. This leaves no room to connect tubing to the outlet on the heatercore toward the back of the case. That is assuming that I use the heatercore below two fans pulling air through it (I was told this is better than pushing).

So, here is what I think I can do. I could put the heatercore to the top and have two fans pushing air through (will I see a big performance hit???) thus giving me more room to connect the tubing to the outlet on the heatercore. The other thing I could do I suppose, which would make everything much easier I guess, is pick up one of those '77 bonneville heatercores where the inlet and outlet are at the same side. Will I see a big performance hit switching to a dual pass heatercore such as this one?

What do you guys recommend? Also, if the bonneville is the best choice, what is the GDI number for the good ones? Suggestions are very very very welcome and much appreciated!

Does anybody have any ideas? or perhaps what I'm saying is hard to understand....

http://www.freewebs.com/mribnik/index.htm

There is a quick diagram of my problem. Now, I know that the pipes from the HC come out of the tanks, but you get the idea. There isn't enough room to attach the tubing to the pipe on the left because the power supply is there. What should I do? I can move the fans below the heatercore and push air through it, or if I still wanted pull I could stick the heatercore to the top of the case and have the fans outside the case on top. I could also opt for a heatercore having the inlet and outlet on the same side. What do you think guys?

Sorry if this sounds stupid (I know next to nothing about cores), but why can't you whip the HC around 180 degrees?

RedViper said:
Sorry if this sounds stupid (I know next to nothing about cores), but why can't you whip the HC around 180 degrees?

I'll assume you mean whip it around horizontally, which would give me the exact same thing, the pipes are at opposite corners of the heatercore, so whipping it around 180 degrees will leave me with the same setup.

I was thinking about your idea wej, but I'm worried about how it would look. Now obviously looks isn't that important, but I spent a bunch on the case and other things and if possible, would like to go for a "friendly on the eyes" setup. That's why I was originally thinking doing exactly what you did, just having the shroud below the top of the case, with only the fans on top. I don't think the fans on top would look too bad.

Also, since it's brand new I don't think I'd have a problem selling the heatercore online, so if the bonneville core with pipes on the same side offers almost exact performance maybe that would make the most sense for me, no? What do you guys think of that?

Also, does anybody have the GDI number for the bonneville core that "weapon" has shown us. The one he has shown us with his modding a dual heatercore post. I was wondering if anybody knows the GDI number and the dimensions.

Thanks for the replies guys. This is driving me crazy.

greenman100 said:
move the PSU to your drive bays, I did it, worked great

do you have a similar setup? How did you mount the psu. Also, what did you do with the power supply plug?

mribnik said:
I'll assume you mean whip it around horizontally, which would give me the exact same thing, the pipes are at opposite corners of the heatercore, so whipping it around 180 degrees will leave me with the same setup.

No, that would be a 360 degree rotation, if the barbs are where I THINK they are. I meant face it in the exact opposite position it is now. Aren't the barbs positioned on the end of the core? We have identical cases, so that part of it I can see clearly.

Edit: Okay, I've seen a picture of a fedco.

mribnik said:
what about those radiator's that WA2 sells at pc perspective? On one of the other threads someone mentioned those are bonnevilles but I tend to doubt it, anybody know what they are and what the performance difference would be between that and the 2-342?

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=304217

nm on that...still wanting to know more about the bonnevilles in comparison to the 2-342. thanks in advance!

ok, found out the info
HEATER CORE for a
1977 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE

Napa Auto Parts (Item#: BK 4603056) ($19.99)
Fedco 2-302 ($21.88 advance auto)
GDI 399078 ($17.99 autozone)

10 1/2" x 5 5/8" x 2" fin area
12" x 5 5/8" x 2" overall

Do you guys think that'll perform almost as good or identical to the 2-342, or does anybody see any other way to fit everything in my case that I already have?

greenman100 said:
yes

tapped in there with a wooden block and hammer, from the front

let it hang out, I think it looks cool, and gives me a way to shutdown immediately

:thup:

Looks cool? :p Anyway, what about the large hole this would leave in the back of the case? The PC-75 is an awful expensive, and delicate case to be going at with a block and hammer. But to each his own! :thup:

RedViper said:
Looks cool? :p Anyway, what about the large hole this would leave in the back of the case? The PC-75 is an awful expensive, and delicate case to be going at with a block and hammer. But to each his own! :thup:

I didn't say concrete block and sledgehammer

who sees the back of the case, anyway? tape over it for all Icare

was a solution to his problem, keeping all the WCing stuff inside the case

as far as not wanting the shroud and fans outside of the case, i think it can look good. if you take the time to make the shroud nice and use the evercool aluminum fans it can look pretty good.

that's what I'm starting to look at wej, it just doesn't seem possible to do unless i go a little out of the case, or I push air through the heatercore. Does anybody know for sure that pulling air through is better than pushing?

what i am thinking of doing on a future case, which might appeal to you, is to put a hood scoop like on a muscle car onto the top of my case to act as a shroud, know what i mean?

greenman100 said:
I didn't say concrete block and sledgehammer

I said "block and hammer", just like you did, greenie. I didn't embelish one bit, you did it for me. Let's be straight about that."

who sees the back of the case, anyway? tape over it for all Icare

This is what I said: "The PC-75 is an awful expensive (case),..."

I paid a pretty penny for mine, and was just wondering aloud whether mr was willing to take it out that far out of spec. I wasn't asking you to explain what you were saying. I got that part.

was a solution to his problem, keeping all the WCing stuff inside the case

I was attempting to help as well, and TBH I wasn't expecting this sort of response. Didn't you see the smilies?

WejRepus said:
what i am thinking of doing on a future case, which might appeal to you, is to put a hood scoop like on a muscle car onto the top of my case to act as a shroud, know what i mean?

well, I'm going to my friend's dad's machine shop on friday. hopefully we can toss around a few ideas on how to make a scoop-type thing that looks like an extension of the case so it looks pretty neat.

RedViper said:
I said "block and hammer", just like you did, greenie. I didn't embelish one bit, you did it for me. Let's be straight about that."

This is what I said: "The PC-75 is an awful expensive (case),..."

I paid a pretty penny for mine, and was just wondering aloud whether mr was willing to take it out that far out of spec. I wasn't asking you to explain what you were saying. I got that part.

I was attempting to help as well, and TBH I wasn't expecting this sort of response. Didn't you see the smilies?

No need for fighting, I appreciate both of your responses!

Back