• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best fans for HC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@/2ct!<

I was wondering what the best "common" 120mm fans are for pushing (or pulling) air through a heatercore. I heard it is better to have high pressure instead of straight CFM. (heh, this sounds similar to a pump with high head, anyway..) I also heard that 38mm fans produce more pressure than the standard size. I would also like to avoid tornados if possible, or any super loud fan. I would get a blower, but there seems to be very limited types and may be difficult to fit internally on a dual 120 rad, but if you have the "perfect" blower please provide a link.

I personally like the Panaflo M1A's (120mm & 38mm thick, 86CFM, 35dBa) they seem to be a good balance of airflow to noise. You should use 38mm thick fans, they create more pressure. You could always go with Panaflo H1A's or the Highspeed Sunons too and use a fan controller to turn them down to an acceptable volume, yet you have the powah should you need or want it.

Another vote for the M1A's. I replaced all of my Enermax 120's with Panaflo's. They are not too loud, move tons of air and are DURABLE.

Are the M1as the ones that recently went from japanese to chinese, and got louder?

Don't know if it's recent but there are 2 version I recall from a while ago, Chinese and and Japanese.
Some carry Japanese only, they are better.
Word is, jab-tech has the Japanese ones, can try searching for others that sell them too. If you're paranoid that you may buy the wrong ones, try searching in the forums and google for reliable information on how to distinguish them.

I have some papst (4112GX), panaflo (FBA12G12H) & delta(WFB1212HE) fans.
Deltas have an annoying clicking noise that is very audible at low volts but as you raise the voltage the air whoosing overrides the clicks. My papsts, while not as quiet as the panaflow at low volts put out more air. I cannot hear the panaflos at 6v, but they are noisier than the deltas when both are at full tilt and put out less air.
I have the panaflos as case fans, and the papsts on the rad, as they seem to give more pressure at low voltage. The deltas are too noisy so they are sitting idle :p

Last edited:
PAPST fans are a no-surprise, low-noise choice. They have a good backpressure.
The 4412 N/2GL is excellent at 12V, but cannot be undervolted without producing an annoying buzz.

What about these fans:

Vantec Stealth

and

Silverstone 120mm

#1 there is only 28 dBa, and #2 is 27 dBa. Which sounds pretty good, thought I realise it's likely an average measured on above average examples.

They are only 25mm, but are both lower RPM and still pretty good cfm, which generally means that the pressure being produced is higher.

Anyone have any ideas if these 2 are good?

enermax 120mm adjustable fans. Even at its highest setting, no whine only whooshes of air. at its lowest u wont hear anything.

mribnik said:
Also, some guy on ebay is selling Sanyo Denkis 120mm fans with similar ratings to the M1A's I believe for like $4 a fan.

I'll let you know when my 4 arrive :D

Hoot, one of our beloved moderators turned me on to these fans a while ago, but they'd been so danged hard to find. I guess the mainframe/server guys were snapping them up.
Panaflo's are always a favorite of mine, had one for about 4 years now without a single hiccup.
Pabst are a very close third in my book, nothing wrong with them, just someone's gotta be third cause sanyo and panaflo are that good (barring the chinese thing, of course).

Back