• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelt and cold plate on Vidcard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dcfan60

im going to Buy a 90W pelt and put it on my fx 5900 card. usinga cold plate that is 5MM thick. will it be ok?

Im going to Air cool it

ok I want as low as possible. so where can I buy a cold plate that is 1/2 inch that is now expensive? I found a 5mm cold plate on e-bay for like 5 bucks

DangerDen sells coldplates, I don't know about mounting for your card/cooler though, could be tricky to get it to fit cleanly with a heatsink.

About the aircooling, what do you plan to use to cool the peltier hotside? I would guess that anything less than a copper CPU heatsink will be inadequate to get you near-ambient temperatures; inadequate cooling on the hotside will lead to temperatures little better than good straight air-cooling, this is something to keep in mind when you buy your parts.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=4309&step=4&showunits=inches

this is .5" x 2" copper stock. Enter a custom cut of 2" and the price is $5.34. Alot of people on the forums seem to use onlinemetals, but I don't deal with them because I can get it cheaper, and they won't tell you the shipping price up front.

[email protected]
This is the guy I deal with. I heard about him on the forums, and I have dealt with him twice with no problems. For my projects, he was about half the price of onlinemetals. Just tell him what you want and he'll give you a price.

Bad_CEKTOP said:
The DD cold plate that came with my Maze4 pelt kit is 9mm thick. 5mm should be fine.

It would work, but 1/2" would be ideal. According to the link Joe Camel posted, going from 1/4" to 1/2" could easily mean a degree or two, but 5mm is on the steeper part of the curve, so I wouldn't go thinner than 1/4". I used 1/4" because I had leftover stock. If I was ordering new copper I would have gotten a piece of 1/2".

If you do go with .5 I would get aluminum rather than the copper. Its just to heavy for the vid card, and yes this is from experience:)

im going to buy some Long screws and bolts and drill holes on the heatsink that will be cooling the pelt, and ocouse I will use the proper materials for preventing condenstion, although I dont think I will have problems with it but better save than sorry.

same here, I think you got the wrong threat on that. and I know its gonna need it in the back too.

Back