• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering water cooling, some questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Ambush=-

So I'm probably going to get $250-$300 for my car amp that I'm selling and I'm thinkling of going to water cooling once I get my new video card.

But I have some questions:

I'm in college so I'll be moving my case about 120mi via car about 3 or 4 times a Year. Will this be a pain to do with water cooling? Will I have to drain it to move it? Is a rRes or T-line better for when you have to move it?

I'm planning on switching to an fx-53/55 come december. I currently have a LanParty B and XP-M 2500+, are cpu and northbridge blocks universial? will I have to get new block when I switch for s939? shoudl I wait until i get my system all together?

How important is airflow in the case? Is more airflow better like in air cooling?

The answer to most of those questions is: it depends :)

Last year I had the behmoth watercooling rig from hell- it weighted 100+ lbs filled (and thats not an exaggeration- it took two strong people to carry) I drive 1k miles to and from school each semester. I had to drain it, but I rigged it so all you had to do was unscrew a cap at the bottom and it drained automatically. It was sort of a pain, but no more than 15 minutes of extra time- not much compared to total moving in/out time.

If you make a well sealed one without too big a res, you could probably leave it filled. Im planning to do that with the new watercooling box Im building.

As far as universality. Yes and no. Some waterblocks will only work with certain chips, others will work with several. Often you can get an adaptor. I *think* the danger den RBX works with either if you get an adaptor for a64.

Northbridge blocks are more or less universal.

Airflow is always a good thing. If your radiator is mounted outside, it wont matter for actual cpu cooling, but its good to have everything else cool.

-=Ambush=- said:
So I'm probably going to get $250-$300 for my car amp that I'm selling and I'm thinkling of going to water cooling once I get my new video card.

A fellow UF'er! awesome.

-=Ambush=- said:
But I have some questions:

I'm in college so I'll be moving my case about 120mi via car about 3 or 4 times a Year. Will this be a pain to do with water cooling? Will I have to drain it to move it? Is a rRes or T-line better for when you have to move it?

T-Line...stores less water, so in teh event of a crack, less damage, and a t-line won't crack or leak.

-=Ambush=- said:
I'm planning on switching to an fx-53/55 come december. I currently have a LanParty B and XP-M 2500+, are cpu and northbridge blocks universial? will I have to get new block when I switch for s939? shoudl I wait until i get my system all together?

Somewhat compatible, depends on the brand/type.

-=Ambush=- said:
How important is airflow in the case? Is more airflow better like in air cooling?

Just as important as air cooling, but you can use bigger and therefore quieter fans.

I have watercooling, and I love it. I don't plan on draining it on the way back to Gainesville, because everything is secire in my case. Use worm clamps.

Cool. Thanks for the replies guys.

Now I'll be getting my x800xt-pe or 6800gt, hopefully in the first week of august, so and I'll have my case back at my house with all our cool tools (Still up at florida now :beer: )

So I have from now till then to get a parts list and sell that amp. I'll look into that RBX w/ the adapter too.

Thanks again guys!

I'd stick some well supported handles or some u-bolts for a shoulder strap.

No need to drain it, but unmount the blocks when in transit.

Back