• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hp sucks...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I recently purchased a psc 1350v. Good printer. Easy to copy. Probably scans well enough, if I could get the damn software to work...

In short, I need to go around hp's horribly non-functional twain interface. I'm using the GIMP, but once you select the "twain source", the hp crap-for-driver kicks in. Hp says that if their software fails, limited functionality can be regained by using "WIA". Can I get this to run on 98? Any other suggestions?

In long, disgruntled... I knew there was a problem when the installation program demanded I install IE. I don't think any software company would make IE integral unless they were interested in doing a half-assed job. I screwed w/ that stuff for a couple of days, eventually finding that I could download a special minimal set of drivers on the hp support site. I highly recommend them, as they take about 30 minutes off the install process. But, after everything, the core problem still remains -- the twain interface simply doesn't work. I get a myriad "scripting errors" in scan.htm. According to hp, "There is no known solution...", so screw 'em. The support site said that partial functionality could be regained by using "WIA". Unfortunatly, it's used on ME/XP/2K, and not my 98. So, can I get a third-party peice of software that can fix this gaping oversite from hp? This is really ****ing me off...

Thanks for your help.

HPs are nice printers and I buy quite a few of them for work but they often have huge software installs. And most of the time you have to install 250 megs of garbage to get the printer to function properly.

At the moment I am researching all in one options for home that are not HP, though I haven't found what I am looking for yet.

VueScan looked like a winner, but it freezes once the scan is finished. Not great for a $60 peice of software. I'm looking into their doc's now, but I don't know if I want to chase this one down. Can anyone think of anything else? I'm off to Google... again. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back