• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan orientation suggestion needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nartac

I have seen lots of screenshots of other people's wc system and notice that most of them have the fan mounted on the radiator with the barbs facing inward and fan pushing air out of case. I want to mount my radiator on top of my case (but inside) and I'm wondering if I can have the fans pushing air inward (drawing cool air in) but the radiator barbs are facing inward? Would it make any difference?

It shouldn't matter at all. Just remember that hot air rises so pushing or pulling air out of the case would be a good alternative. However, pusing/pulling cool air into the case will definitely get you decent temperatures. From what I've read, it seems that pulling/pushing cool air from outside the case into the radiator is the preferred method.

jr120 with 2 120@7v at top of case;

as Intake: case 38, diode idle 41-42 /load 44-45
as Exhaust: case 32-34, diode idle 44-45 /load 46-48

ambient: 26C

of course if you go with the rad as an intake and flip your front bezel fans around to be exhausts, your case temps will drop back down to normal levels

My experience with a top-mounted rad is basically the same as Guderian's, only the difference was even more pronounced: switching from intake to exhaust on my rad with one (unshrouded, for now) 120mm Evercool dropped my load temps 6c, as read by both my mobo and an external sensor. I also switched the rear 120mm exhaust on my P160 to intake to make sure I maintained positive case pressure to help keep the dust down.

Here's the really gravy party though: my pwm temps dropped a full 10c, confirmed by both mobo diode and an external sensor. That's no small drop, and it's a pretty important one when you're pushing a ravenously power-hungry Prescott :)

Just make sure your fan sucks air through your rad, not pushes because you lose a lot of performance due to backpressure. When you suck through everyone is cheeky at night :)

so wait, in the front you have it intake throught the rad and into the system, if the rad was mounted in the back, it would intake form the back and into the case as well? For the top.... outtake to outside air, right?

so the last few suggestions contradict what the first 2 suggestions said. Now I'm confused :bang head . I always thought pushing cool air through the radiator would cool the radiator better. I also have another 120mm on the back of the case pushing warm air out. What you guys are saying is I should reverse the back fan of the case to push cool air in and the 2 fans on the radiator to suck but not push air out of the case on top?

Last edited:
It's real simple: if you only have one fan, it should be *pulling* air through the radiator, not pushing it. If you have two fans then obviously you'll put one on each side of the rad, both blowing in the same direction. If you're going to be mounting the rad on top, then it's best (in my experience) to have the fan(s) pulling air *out* of the case.

Back