• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS admins.... Have a user/license question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nahmus

hi all,
I've been trying to find some documentation on this but can't find anything concrete.

in WIN2k I know that clients coming in with terminal server use up a license. the question i have is the following

Do network printers count as a user?
If you set up a share on a pc that connects using terminal server does that use a license as well?

they printers show up in connection manager on the server but i seem to be missing some connections. could the shares be taking them? Any information or links to MS documentation would help lots.

thanks!

nahmus said:
hi all,
I've been trying to find some documentation on this but can't find anything concrete.

in WIN2k I know that clients coming in with terminal server use up a license. the question i have is the following

Do network printers count as a user?
If you set up a share on a pc that connects using terminal server does that use a license as well?

they printers show up in connection manager on the server but i seem to be missing some connections. could the shares be taking them? Any information or links to MS documentation would help lots.

thanks!
AFAIK, the EULA states that a license is needed either on a 'per user' basis or "per device' and when MS says per device they mean a workstation. Printers should NOT be considered a 'needed to be licensed' device on the network.

If a device that is connected by Terminal Server has a share on it. Does that constitute another connection since others will be connectin to it?

As nikhsub1 said, if it's a workstation(PC or server), yes. It will use a CAL. According to recent TS2 sessions, printers and devices are covered by internal CALs in S2K3 and SBS2K3. There are 5 per server. NAS will count as a device, provided it's hardware based. W2K probably shares the same methodology, but I haven't been able to confirm.

Please specify what kind of device and you can get a clearer answer.

A printer is not considered a client of a server, and does not require a separate CAL.

E.g. if you have home users that share their printer through a terminal services session, in order for others to print stuff to them. The CAL subtracted here is the OS CAL of the PC sharing the printer, not the printer itself.

Cheers, Flix

Back