• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heater Core help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tsulas

Registered
Hi All,

Well, I got my heatercore today. It's a good size, and will fit inside my case well. The only problem with it, as with any used car part... it that it's pretty dirty inside. Some oxidation, and some crap from other parts of the car I guess. Anyone have a good way to clean the inside?

Cheers

Hookup your pump, and let some mix of water and vineager (sp) run through it for a few hours. Thatis to remove the oxidation.
If it's really dirty and all, try to flush it first in the sink till most of the crap is out.

CLR tends to be a bit too corrosive, which is why he reccomended Vinegar. Same for the outside. Water it down, and let it sit in a pool of it. Mines coming clean already.

this is the method that I use -- it hasn't failed me yet :)

Go to autozone or some other auto store and get a bottle of Eagle One cast aluminum wheel cleaner. Make sure it is the type for cast aluminum wheels -- it is a mild acid. Fill the core up with that and let it set for about 2-4 hours (depends on how nasty the inside of the core is). Then, add about a tablespoon of baking soda to a cup of water, pour it in the core and swish it around inside the core for a minute or two. Dump that out and rinse the core out with a ton of water - a garden hose will do the job nicely. last part - add a little antifreeze or water wetter to a couple of cups of distilled or deionized water, pour it in the core, swish it around for 2-3 minutes and then dump that out, rinse and repeat. It should now be very clean on the inside with no acid or base residue - ready to hook up.

how do I know this works well on the inside of the core? heh...I did it and then cut up the core to make sure it was getting it clean. Kind of a layer by layer disection. :) I need to post some pics of that core as it really shows how the core works as well as which seams you have to worry about screwing up, etc. etc. It also shows why you can paint the outer edges of the fins with no worries -- there are fins on the fins.

btw, do not get the wheel cleaner on your hands -- it is not good for skin. If you do get it on you, baking soda mixed with a little water will neutralize it fairly quickly --- a can of coke or pepsi will work in a pinch.

Back