• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU WB sucks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EPirate

I have a the CPU wb and the GPU int he same loop. I get awsome temps on my cpu 28*c on average idle. I recently got one of the temp probes for my case, i place one between the GPU and the wb and another in the REZ to keep track of the waters temp. Now for the GPU its reading 94.8* f idle and 107*f under load, im just wondering wth is going on with my WB i mean i could get better temps on AIR cooling. Im thinking its the cheap UNAblock wb from ultrastealth.com. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

(oh btw i got a radeon 9800 Pro soft modded to XT)

if you put the probe between the waterblock base and the gpu you've broken the transfer between them. take it out, now.

do you have r360 core? if so it has temp monitoring.

Its not breaking the connection, i made sure of it. Its in the small amount of space inside the shim. It has a good connection with the core. Im not sure what type of core it has btw. Tho im intrested, if it does have the right type where do i go to get the temp.

35 degrees Celcius for a 9800XT on a waterblock is actually pretty damn good.
the XT's always run hot, with the 1.7 volt core.
35C isn't much to worry about.
I'd say your well beyond the point of needing to doubt your watercoolings ability to get the job done.

Hell I'm running 57C on my 9800pro->XT core right now. I consider that good. Then again, I'm reading the on-die temps, so it actually is good.

35c is excellent for any video card. Nothing to worry about at all. That 57c that Acid Rain is dealing with is another matter. is that 57c on water? if so you're the one that should be doubting the abilities of your GPU block. But then again the on-die thermometer usually reads temps high.

jenkx said:
35c is excellent for any video card. Nothing to worry about at all. That 57c that Acid Rain is dealing with is another matter. is that 57c on water? if so you're the one that should be doubting the abilities of your GPU block. But then again the on-die thermometer usually reads temps high.

The 57C is on water - a fusionHL. I can assure you that it's a good temp for on-die. The back of my card/core is definitely cool to the touch, and very few people that own a radeon9800 series can say that about their card ;). I think alot of people with stock cooling get 65-70C with on-die temps, but that's just a guess at this point.

I suspect if Epirate was using an on-die readout instead of an external probe, the temps would be similar to mine.

Back