• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

where did my run go??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For XP:

Right click on the start menu, choose "Properties". Click the "Customize" button. If you're using the Classic Start Menu, make sure "Display Run" is checked. If you're using the XP start menu, go to the "Advanced" tab, and make sure "Run Command" (it's near the bottom) is checked.

JigPu

i don't have the option for display run in there, im using classic menu
and
when i did window key+r it gives me an error saying
restriction
this operation has been cancelled due to restrictuion in effect on this computer. please contact syst admin.

what??

Is this your own computer or is this someone else's?

It sounds like the system might be locked down.

If its your computer and you didn't change anything that might have caused this then you have another problem.

yea, its my comp and as far as i know, i didn't do anything, i searched it b4 and found a registry fix for it, and i tried it but it didn't work, so im stuck now

You could try this

Do a search for gpedit.msc, when you get that click on it and go to:

userconfig | administrative templates | start menu and taskbar

then dclick on remove run menu from the start menu and see if that option is disabled or enabled.

Also are you loged on in an admin account?

yea i am in admin account
and the option for remove run was not configured so i set it disabled
didn't do anything, but i can't restart right now casue im prime testing. i will do it later to see if it worked, but i think it should have worked without restarting

but now when i press windows key+r the run pops up instead of an error

hey, now i just checked the options in the start menu properties and its back again, thanks for all the help guys

There are some excellent third party tools that will aid in configuring options like this. A personal favorite of mine for Xp is "Advanced tweek Xp" There are some great and simple to use features in it. For a moderate skilled user, there are some that you may not even realize are options. One of the better advantages is if you don't like what youi did...it's just as easy to reverse your changes.

Back