• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there a m/b without IDE, Floppy, COM, Parallel, PS/2 Ports???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

omega3112

i have a abit at7 and i think the idea of legacy-free mainboards very good. but unfortunately, the at7 is the only mainboard i know that supports this idea...

do you know other mainboard that are legacy free ??
preferably with sata and pcie

The only mobos out right now with PCIe are the new Intel 915/925 boards. They are not legacy free. I think Abit tried the legacy free idea with your board and then realized people still wanted the legacy ports.

what do you mean by lagacy free do you mean transfer speeds between the harddrive and stuff like that? how did you install your floppy and CD drive then?

The Abit kV8 Max 3 motherboard removed many of those same legacy ports; however, as earlier stated, customer demand drove them to re-include these features in their newest motherboards. In short: good luck trying to find a next-gen legacy free motherboard this soon. Transitions of that nature must be done in a more gradual fashion than what you are asking.

No IDE ports, huh? Good luck with that...

You should always have IDE ports, obviously. You should also always have PS/2 ports, as some USB mice and keyboards won't work in a DOS/BIOS environment.

mine at7 works perfectly under every environment... it has bios level usb mouse and keyboard drivers.

i know that removing ide is not easy to accept, but already today there are people using sata for optical drives (with a adapter) (or i am wrong?)

i hate the legacies from the old IBM PC design which are soo obsolete... someone really should reinvent the PC with a completely modern architecture :)

woohoo! i liike it :)

my at7 can't even take drives other than hard drives :'( if it did, i could turn off those via crap ide controllers...

JKeefe said:
Actually, there are now SATA optical drives available:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20040709/index.html
I was going to add this too. Legacey free has been talked about and it is slowly starting to happen. Take a look at the major OEMs. No floppy drives. I've even work on some Gateways with no PS2 ports. As long as the BIOS knows where to find the mouse/keyboard, these things will work fine in any environment. It's the BIOS that makes or breaks the idea. As machines get faster, the older stuff will go away.

but i fear that there are still many people out there who demand full compability with older products... they are really slowing down the progress of pcs

People like me :), I like my old laser printer and wouldnt trade it for any usb printer. Unless a cheap color usb laser came out.

omega3112 said:
i have a abit at7 and i think the idea of legacy-free mainboards very good. but unfortunately, the at7 is the only mainboard i know that supports this idea...

do you know other mainboard that are legacy free ??
preferably with sata and pcie

The IT7 is basically legacy free, It's the same as your AT7, but is Intel based. I have had a few of them, and I really like that board.

I think that to find PCI-E, you will need to look at the LGA-775 boards.

steve

The i865/i875 mobos like the AI7 or IC7 have the option of disabling the IDE and use SATA only. They still have the PS/2 ports of course. Like Skou said, if you can find an early IT7, they have no legacy ports.

drenader said:
People like me :), I like my old laser printer and wouldnt trade it for any usb printer. Unless a cheap color usb laser came out.
I just picked up a USB to parallel printer cable for a client. My hope is that it will allow him to use his high dollar printer/scanner on a new machine. I'll try to post back and let you know how it works out.

Back