• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Major Problem....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[DAD]MeR|iN

ok, I have a major problem... I have the dtek whitewater water blocka nd the fsb northbridge chip, I just finnally got done installing everything, I have a cpu shim between the block and the proc, but the problem is the fact that my cpu is running at 55-60C, it fluctuates between those temps, This is one of the best water blocks you can buy, so why is it running so hot? should i try to re seat it? or should I remove the shim, or maybe tighten the bolts? any help will be very much appreciated!!! thanks!!!

~Mer|iN

It sounds like it's not contacting the CPU the way it should. Re-seat it and see fi the temps go down, and if they don't then tighten the bolts. Only tighten the bolts when you're sure loose bolts are the problem because you don't want to crack your core!

I think the shim might be the problem, it may be causing it not to get enough pressure on the core. If your careful, the shim isnt necessary at all.

Jon

I tightened the bolts slowly and the temps went down to 52C but i think your right about the shim, Ill try it and tell you what happens! thanks a ton!! btw, what should my temps be roughly?? j/w

~ben

Hey Merlin,

There are too many factors involved to tell you what your final temps will actually look like. ut if I was to make a ballpark SWAG for a mildly OCed system... look for idle temps below 40C and load temps below 45C.

I am seeing idle temps at 38C and load temps up to 50C with my XP1700 OCed to 2.4ghz with the vcore at 1.775volts. I only have a CPU block and I have my fans all running at low speed. I think I need to do a little tightening and reseating myself. :)

Good luck with the reseat.

Definitely take the shim off, just make sure you apply even pressure (screw thumbscrews evenly in an X pattern). I don't recommend tightening until the spring is totally compressed like it said in the manual though.

i tightened it all up without the shim and am hittin 35C!!! thanks a ton for the help!!! you guys saved my butt once again!

~Ben

Thats awesome man, Im glad I could help:)
Its always nice to figure something out like that:)

Jon

Back