• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-MAX3 and wall at 240FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zebbo

Mushkin Tech Rep
I've read alot of forum posts, etc where people seems to have problem with Abit IC7-MAX3 and higher FSB 240+. And (of course with my bad luck) I'm one of these users. So this point I will need all possible help what you can give to me, and I will update first post as much as I have sparetime. I'd be thankful if all IC7-MAX3 users would post here, and let me know next few things about their systems, cause I though pretty much this is system related problem some how.

Post following info:
PSU's Vendor & Model
Mobo's version, revision and bios ver. (eg. Abit IC7-MAX3 version 1.0 revision A2 with BIOS 1.6)
reg CPU info (default info, FPO#, packdate. Both of these can be founded on your cpu box)
Memory Stick(s) (Module vendor, chip vendor, reg voltage, latencies)
Graphic card's vendor and model
-
PSU:
Antec TruePower 550W

Motherboard:
Version 1.0, Revision A2, BIOS 1.6

CPU:
Intel Pentium4 Northwood 3.0C, L351B097, 03/06/04

Memory:
Infineon PC-2700 256Mb CL2.5, 2.5-3-3-7, 2.6V

Graphic Card:
Club3D Radeon 9700
-
What have you tried to solve the problem? Raising voltages, changing GAT-settings? Have you disabled or enabled something from BIOS and it helped to get through this? Have you tried different AGP/PCI -settings? All kind of information is needed, and I'd be thankful if you could give me some info so I could make somekind of comparsion of this.

Sjaak said:
very unlikely that its the motherboard. cpu maxed?

run the ram at diff. ratios and set the GAT to AAAADD

I've tried everything, voltages, GAT-settings, mem latencies, dividers etc, no use. There's alot of people who got this same problem so that's why I need this kind of info and I could comparise them to others and see what I can get. For sure I think it's not the cpu... I've tested this memory module with 1:1 divider, FSB240 and latencies to 3-4-3-7. Was stable, then I switched to 5:4 and tried everything. FSB241 is not stable, no matter what I do.

put the cpu in a mobo that does 241 for sure to see if its just maxed. you never know. if it isnt: get better ram, and up the vAGP (1.65v, but beware of northbridge cooling)

Not too long ago I was running a Max 3 with a 2.4C and 1GB of Adata PC4000 at 275fsb with a 1:1 ratio. It ran like that for weeks before I decided to try a different board.

You do need better memory though. Well at least faster..

Almost everytime I see someone hitting a brick wall on an IC7 series mobo, it's a RAM incompatibility. Here are about 3 things to try off the top of my head. Go back to the 15 BIOS. There are enough people that are having trouble with 16 that raises a red flag. I doubt this is truly your problem, but one never knows. I don't even see the 16 BIOS on the Abit website anymore. The second thing is try disabling the last two GAT settings. I generally use auto, auto, auto, disable, disable. Last, borrow a friend's RAM if possible and see if you get the same results.

You claim to get 240 FSB with the 1:1 ratio with Infineon PC2700 RAM? That's DDR480 from RAM that's only rated DDR333. Come on, that's sort of unbelieveable. I have seen PC2700 with Hynix chips go that high and higher though, so I reckon anything's possible. If it's true, I'd like to see a CPU-Z screenshot. Anyway, you might try using the 3:2 ratio to bring the RAM back into spec (that's the "266" setting on Asus mobos). I'd also raise the vdimm to 2.7v to see what happens.

I was impressed with the CPU-Z screenie until I noticed you were only running single channel. Dual channel is harder to O/C RAM than single. Also look at your memory bandwidth. That's quite low compared to dual channel. You need two sticks of RAM for best performance.

I know nothing about that Simpletech RAM. It's not one of the brands that Intel overclockers usually buy. I've used Corsair, Mushkin, OCZ, Kingston, and A-Data RAM in my IC7 mobos. If you are thinking of PC4000, you might check out what A-Data has to offer. They are good overclockers.

batboy:
there's no need to compare single channel to dual channel ;) It's almost same as comparing Fiat to Ferrari.
I only wanted to show that Infineon could actually do that.

As it seems there's people who don't wan't to give me helping hand :/. I'll make couple things up and change some of those stock parts another ones. Here's list what I'm going to do:

- change Abit 40x40mm-FAN from the OTES to Papst 412/2 40x40mm-FAN (18db, 5,9CFM)
- add AS5 to mosfet's heatsinks (to OTES of course) and to NB and change 'em to the cpu
- NoiseBlocker S3 80x80mm(26db/~38CFM) fan to side of the case
- NoiseBlocker SE2 92x92mm(21db/~37CFM) fan to top of the case
- Infineon PC2700 256mb stick to A-Data Vitesta 512MB DDR566 stick

If this don't give me any better results I think my head is going to blow ;) But as I'am so lazy person, I guess it may take a week before I get enough interest to do this.

Back