• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question. Ic7, or IC7 Max3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WheaT

Im looking to possibly change motherboards and I just want some clarification. What exactly do I gain from going to the IC7 Max3 versus just the IC7? One thing that apeals to me about the max3 is the 6 sata ports, however I feel like I am paying a ton more money for that and the active mosfet coolers. Is there really truly any overclocking advantages with going with the max3? Any input would be much appreciated.!!

WheaT :thup:

The only overclocking feature the Max3 has that the little IC7 brothers don't is higher vdimm settings (3.2v compared to 2.8v). Trouble is, some of the Max3's have vtt stabilization issues above 2.8v, so that's not really much of a benefit. The IC7-G has 2 less SATA channels and no OTES cooling. That's really the only main differences other than the vdimm.

Don K said:
OTES may be a little overhyped, but I dont think its worthless.

Oh, If your'e going to go with the IC7, remember theres no onboard LAN..

Onboard LAN is there 10/100, it just not gigabit LAN.

SO, unless I want to mod my vdimm due tothe problem witht he max3, I might as well just go with the cheaper model of the IC7-G ? It has 4 sata ports correct?

WheaT

Micro: My IC7 version 1.0 does not have LAN. I'm not aware that any of them have LAN, but I might be wrong.

Wheat: the IC7-G definitely has 4 SATA channels and Gigabit LAN. The plain IC7 only has 2 SATA channels.

Import: The Max3 works perfectly fine up to and including 2.8v vdimm. If you are not going to use 2.9v to 3.2v, then you will not require the VTT mod. Just update to a newer BIOS and rock on. I've heard the 3.2v don't work too bad sometimes, but the 2.9v to 3.1v really sucks on some Max3 mobos.

hey bat boy.....kinda off topic but when i bought my ic7... i saw a lan port but it doessnt work...is it supposed to or was it never inculded or intended to work..btw its non g or max..but there is a port there :| soo idk

1-Man-Army said:
hey bat boy.....kinda off topic but when i bought my ic7... i saw a lan port but it doessnt work...is it supposed to or was it never inculded or intended to work..btw its non g or max..but there is a port there :| soo idk

Yes the port is there, but it is disabled due to lack of hardware to run it. Therefore it doesn't work.

ya thats what i thought too thx for the info..i got a p4 c 2.8ghz man the thing on stock runs hot lol but super quiet(using stock heatsink need sum money before i get a good heat sink...any recommendations?)

What Bchor said. The port is physically there, but the board has no Gigabit chip (so the LAN don't work) unless you get the IC7-G. It's probably cheaper for them to only make one back panel and back plate.

batboy said:
The only overclocking feature the Max3 has that the little IC7 brothers don't is higher vdimm settings (3.2v compared to 2.8v). Trouble is, some of the Max3's have vtt stabilization issues above 2.8v, so that's not really much of a benefit. The IC7-G has 2 less SATA channels and no OTES cooling. That's really the only main differences other than the vdimm.

there is a mod that u can do to fix the vtt issues, and also all the new IC7-max3s coming out have that issue fixed.

edit: i think u can even send one in for an RMA.

ssgohan434, could you please provide links to prove what you are saying? I think you are confusing the vdimm stabilization problem with the VTT tracking problem (which are different things). Abit has fixed the stabilization issues, but as far as I know has never fixed the VTT tracking. Here is a recent thread that discusses this subject.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=313562

batboy said:
ssgohan434, could you please provide links to prove what you are saying? I think you are confusing the vdimm stabilization problem with the VTT tracking problem (which are different things). Abit has fixed the stabilization issues, but as far as I know has never fixed the VTT tracking. Here is a recent thread that discusses this subject.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=313562

yup ur right!

hey everyone makes a mistake once in a while.

would u mind explaining what VTT is then?

I'm not exactly sure what the VTT circuit does or provides voltage to on a mobo, but I do know it needs to be half the vdimm for best O/C stability. The Max3 is fine until you go above 2.8v. From 2.9v to 3.2v the VTT is lower than it should be, so in some situations, stability suffers. There is a mod that will correct this if you are good at electronic soldering.

SO, if I want onboard lan, and atleast 4 sata ports and some good overclockability I should be fine with the IC7-G?

WheaT

Back