• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Order of Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spinout113

Registered
Hey Everyone!
I finnally jumped on the boat and purchased a swiftech water cooling kit (bare w/ no cpu block) and ordered a swiftech cpu,gpu and nb block and 10 ft of clearflex 1\2 OD tubing. I also ordered 1\2 barbs for both the gpu and nb block. Lastly, a second swiftech 80mm rad. and 8 metal hose clamps and a bottle of blue UV dye and fluid XP :). My question would be what order should I have the flow go through (for both temps and neatness)? I am still considering whether I should do the rads in series or parallel because of the cable mess :-/ . Any comments appreciated!

Uh, 1/2" OD tubing for 1/2" fittings? :eh?: Good luck with that. I sure hope you meant to say "1/2" ID". You're going to be stretching quite a lot otherwise.

But that's enough of that, let's get onto the order stuff.
Pump -> rad -> cpu -> nb -> gpu -> res/t-line -> pump
That's the way to do it, and it's clean and cool. The 80mm rads in parallel are supposed to cool a lot better than having them in series.

Good luck!

edit: I'm not 100% sure about the t-line placement, since I only ever considered a res, but it makes the most sense to put the t-line on the suction side of the pump.

order is irrelevant to cooling given tubing length is minimized

order has less than 1C difference on any given block (i.e. moving a rad from before the CPU to after)

a SEARCH reveals the following:
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=2925926&postcount=136

two 80mm rads are not prime for 150+ watts of heat, think dual 120mm, like fedco 2-342 or caprice

I vote rads in parallel, to reduce restriction

Welcome to the forums! :)

This is also discussed in the watercooling sticky titled "basic watercooling Q&A", and here's a quote:

Q: whats the best order to put my stuff in
A: USUALY it goes pump outlet to radiator inlet, then radiator outlet to waterblock inlet , then waterblock outlet to northbridge inlet, and then from north bridge outlet to video card inlet. next from video card outlet to resevior inlet and from resevior outlet to pump inlet. NOTE that you dont have to do it this way and that not all of the stages are required for your water cooling system.
Also some people commonly switch the north bridge and video cooler stages due to the motherbored shape and hosing requirements

While you were waiting for the answer, the answer had been waiting for you! :) If you haven't checked out any of the watercooling stickies, you should take a gander and skim through as you should find much of what they have to say useful.

Back