• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Water Cooling to the Max (Pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenkx

No doubt you regulars have seen my current system. However I'm about to build a new one using ALL the parts from my current system along with many new parts. I've been saving up $$$ and parts for 3-4 months now. I'm about to build a water cooled super system.

It stays hot here in Southern California so I thought I'd take this hobby of mine to the next level and trick out my case to the max. I thought about going with a pelt but I don't want to put grease on my mother board nor worry about condensation. I chose rads over cores because I like the look of the rads better. So take a look at what I’ve collected so far to add to the system.

Along with what you see in the pictures I'm adding:
•A second MCP-600
•1-3 more 120mm fans (For push/pull on the 120 BIX and maybe push/pull on the BIX II)
•Clearflex tubing

All of this is going into a Lian-Li PC-73SL which is due to be delivered on Thursday 7/22/04

I have not made a finial decision on how I'm going to fit all the radiators into the case. I'm open to suggestions. I have a Drill and a Dremmel so anything is possible.

Current Case:
Copy_of_000_0077.jpg
000_0102.jpg

Stuff I already have that will go into the case:
000_0103.jpg

Case Due to arive Thursday:
PC73SL_2.jpg

PC73SL_4.jpg

PC73SL_3.jpg

Last edited:
rewind_rob said:
No plans for a window?

"I have a drill and a dremmel, anything is possible" I do plan to put in a window. I'm not shure what shape I'm going to do though.

Forgot to mention, As soon as CDW starts shipping the X800XT it will be added to the system.

Dual Tornados? Your are daring aren't you? ;) I think the old setup looks pretty darn sweet already. good luck.

JeffP said:
Dual Tornados? Your are daring aren't you? ;) I think the old setup looks pretty darn sweet already. good luck.

Thanks for the complement on the current case.

I'm putting those Tornados on a Sunbeam fan controller which will allow me to turn them off completely.

B-U-M-P I had to. Trying to keep it near the front cuzz I'm gonna be adding to this tread in the next few days.

I'm supprised I havent gotten more feedback and this project.

just wondering why 4 shrouds, which fans are going on that dual rad?
u gonna use 2 tornadoes and 2 panaflo's?
and what is/was in that spire box?
that will look pretty good when it is all installed and stuff :)

~Magick_Man~

magick_man said:
just wondering why 4 shrouds, which fans are going on that dual rad?
u gonna use 2 tornadoes and 2 panaflo's?
and what is/was in that spire box?
that will look pretty good when it is all installed and stuff :)

~Magick_Man~

The tornado's will go in the top fan holes in the back of the case and will be connected to a sunbeam controller so I can turn them on only when I need them to exhaust extra air. Two of the shrouds will go on the single 120mm rad for push pull action. The other two shrouds will be modded to fit side by side on the dual 120mm rad. If I go with push/pull on the dual 120mm rad then I'll build another shroud out of cardboard and tape and paint it up to make it look nice. I need to get at least one, but maybe as many as 3 more 120mm fans.

The spire box has more noise dampening material. I was originally going to purchase a case that did not come with noise dampening material so I purchased that Aspire stuff for $9.99 to cover a full Midtower case. Great price. Then I decided to go with the case you see in the pics so I'll use the material to fill in the spaces where the manufacturer did not put the material.

Let me know how your grill fits on that BIX II, its made for the innovatek radiator so I was afraid it might not fit correctly on the BIX II, I decided to make my own grill out of thin aluminum from Home Depot, of course it doesnt look as cool as that Innova grill. there is also the aquacomputers grill from snt-systems that looks really clean and supposedly fits the BIX perfectly except they are out of stock =(

just for clarification, your using all the current parts in your system along with all the parts in the third picture right?

btw that lian li is one sexy case :D

toorude said:
Let me know how your grill fits on that BIX II, its made for the innovatek radiator so I was afraid it might not fit correctly on the BIX II, I decided to make my own grill out of thin aluminum from Home Depot, of course it doesnt look as cool as that Innova grill. there is also the aquacomputers grill from snt-systems that looks really clean and supposedly fits the BIX perfectly except they are out of stock =(

I have to mod a few of the holes in the grill because they dont fit exactly. They are about 2-3mm off.

asdasd said:
just for clarification, your using all the current parts in your system along with all the parts in the third picture right?

btw that lian li is one sexy case :D

You are correct. That means I'll have a total of 4 radiators. Two 80mm's, one 120mm, and one dual 120mm. Hince the name "Project: Water Cooling to the Max"

I just checked my UPS Tracking number and the case is due to arive today, one day early :D I basically make my own hours and work from home a lot so I need to get a lot of work done before it arives because I know I'm not goinig to do anything work related once it gets here. The UPS man usually comes in the late afternoon so I have a little time.

The case came today one day early so let the party begin :bday:

Check it out. Its not as big as I had imagined it would be but it has plenty of space to add all the stuff I'm planning on putting in it. As you can see some mods have already been done. I think I'm going to cut/combine those two 120mm holes into a rectangle. I'm also going to add a Firewire, Headphone, and Mic I/O connections in the front with the two USB connections. (But this is the water cooling section so let me stick to that)

000_0159.jpg

000_0160.jpg

100_0011.jpg

100_0007.jpg

000_0168.jpg

Whya re you cutting it intoa rectangle?

The way I'd do it, is put it in this order:

fans
shroud
BIX2

With the fans pulling air through the BIX2 and out the top of the case. Put the two 80mm rads in the top back, and the BIX in the front. with dual shrouds/fans.

sandman001 said:
Whya re you cutting it intoa rectangle?

The way I'd do it, is put it in this order:

fans
shroud
BIX2

With the fans pulling air through the BIX2 and out the top of the case. Put the two 80mm rads in the top back, and the BIX in the front. with dual shrouds/fans.

That sounds good. I thought that pulling cool air through the BIX 2 would be better for it. I'll have to rethink some things. I want the coolest air possible going through all the rads.

if you want the coolest air possible going through the rads then you have to reverse the flow so that air is coming from OUTSIDE the case into the case. you can't get cooler than ambient air in your setup. Unfortunately that puts more heat INTO your case.

I'm sure the case air will be extremely close to ambient with a 120mm fan pushing air in, and all that air going out the top.

I love the huge, door on the front of that case. This is looking to be one sweet setup. One possible concern though. Don't you think that the single 120mm and the dual 120mm radiators should be more than enough for what you are planning. I mean, the two 80mm radiators probably do more to restrict flow than they offer in cooling capability. I'm running just one dual 120mm heatercore in my setup with CPU and GPU on the loop and temps are always in the high 30s to low 40s full load depending on the amient temperature (BTW It's hot in So. Cali right now!!!) I'm just saying, you probably wont see any gains from having the two 80mm rads in there.

ogboot said:
oh and get that 3/8" nonsense outta there!

I would go with 1/2"ID but the blocks I currently have are alll 3/8". If I get new blocks I'll go with pelts. Right now I'm not ready to go that far. Besides I've spent enough $$$ on this setup already. Maybe in 6 months or so.

Last edited:
Back