• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compatability Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Indyxc1

I am trying to figure out if newer chips will run on my board.

The board is an abit SR7-8x found here:

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=25

Under compatability, it says it will run 533mhz fsb chips up to 2.53ghz. However, I figure that's outdated.

Seen here:
http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/test_report/SR7-8X/SR78X01.php

In the bios the FSB does go up to 200mhz, however when I put in a 2.8c 800mhz fsb, it wouldn't boot.

So, I'm thinking of getting a 533 fsb 2.8/3.06. Does anyone know/ think it will work?

Help it much appreciated!
Indyxc

I don’t think the 2.8C will work on that board. The 200MHz bus setting is to try to overclock one of the 100-133 processors with no guarantee that it will work.

One of the big things that change with the P4s is the voltage that the processor core runs at. Each processor has voltage ID pins to select the correct core voltage when it is plugged into the socket and if the ID pins select a voltage the motherboard is not designed to supply, no voltage is supplied to the processor core. I think this is what happens when plug in the 2.8C.

Right, I am pretty certain it won't run at a 200 mhz FSB CPU. Besides, even if it did, I wouldn't be able to overclock at all.

I'm just wondering if it would run a newer 533mhz fsb 2.8/3.06 hgz cpu.

Thanks

If you get a 533 CPU, don't get a higher multiplier one like the 3.06, besides I don't think that SIS chipset supports HT. If you already have a 2.8C, then dump that mobo and get an Abit AI7 or something decent.

batboy said:
If you get a 533 CPU, don't get a higher multiplier one like the 3.06, besides I don't think that SIS chipset supports HT. If you already have a 2.8C, then dump that mobo and get an Abit AI7 or something decent.

I don't have a 2.8c. It was my brother's and I tried it out to see if it would boot, and it would not.

The SIS chipset does not support HT.

Right now I'm just looking for a cheap option to extend the performance in gaming for my computer. Can't really afford a new mobo, or new memory if I got a 800mhz fsb cpu. So, I'm basically looking for the best cpu to use for a while.

I'm thinking between the 3.06/ 2.66/2.8 533 fsb, or even possibily the 2.66 400 fsb.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Back