• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem during startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

situman

everytime after i reboot and get back into my desktop, i cant get online (I have dsl) or open My Computer. It takes about a minute or so for it to sign online and for everything to work smoothly. My friend said it is because the computer is searching automatically for an IP address. Now is there a way for me to solve this issue? Or that's the way it is? Computer runs fine, it's just that I have to wait a while before I can do anything.

:confused: are you running winxp? if you are i kinda havet the same problem... my wireless util. takes 1-2mins to startup along with powerstrip...

Do you run an Antivirus scanner set to scan at boot and automatic download of DAT's? My Mcafee 2004 slows the booting of windows a bit, till it gets all good and ready (about 10 seconds or less).
But I have the modified full options set, and it checks at startup, for viruses and scans for updates.
This may be issue of your slow conectivity, and lag on the startup. Drop your startup settings down a bit and see if this helps, if not reset it to how ya had it. Hope this lil bit of info helps ya.

Last edited:
i dont even have antivirus setup on my computer. its my IP address thing issue. It takes forever for it to get an IP address.

o yeah i am running xp. it's just annoying. Nothing would help, incuding reformatting.

The problem is your DSL Modem. I have see that if you plug the DSL straight into the Ethernet card and not thru a router. When you first reboot the modem takes a minute or two to be recognized and configured. This is normal.

Z

Right click "My Network Places", select properties, right click local area connection(or whatever is there), select properties, in the details box, select TCP/IP then select properties button below. What do you see there?

i will have to answer u when i get home. I am at work right now. But please let me what is suppose to be the setting when i do that. Thanks.

yes i see my modem light blink i wonder why. Do i need to download a driver for it? or install a driver for it? I think its a westell from verizon.

I have to say that I am a little weak when it comes to DSL. But the theory should still be the same. You and the inside connection of the modem are one network whereas the outside of the modem and the internet are another. Your NIC car should have an IP addy of something like 192.168.1.100 the inside connection of the modem should be something like 192.168.1.1. The outside connection of the Modem will have a real IP addy. Anything that starts with 192.168 can not be visible to the internet...it just won't work, they are reserved.

First I'd use the steps I listed above...what you are looking for(going by your friends assertion) is to see if it reads "obtain IP adress automatically". However I tink that because it is DSL you may not need to set that. There might be a different "Connection" in there. One that reads Verizon or something like that.

The next thing that I would do to try and correct this is "shut down" the PC and un plug the Modem(power). After they are both shut down, plug the modem back in then wait for the lights to start flashing. After that, start-up the PC. Re-initializing the Modem works about half the time.

If you get no Love that way, you may want to try simply putting the Verizon disc back in. Don't be afraid to give Verizon a call either...you pay for it. One thing I found out recently is that you really only need the WinPoet program to connect.

I hope some of that helps.

I SAY AGAIN. . . The delay you see on boot up is NORMAL for a DSL modem. This is due to it taking a minute to be loaded and recognized. Using a router to take care of the login features of DSL will ELIMINATE this delay. Otherwise it is NORMAL.

Z

well my problem was slightly different im on wireless and the util was taking forever to load.... i have a router ... i did fix my problem though it was some service i disabled cant remember which one though....

Zuzzz said:
I SAY AGAIN. . . The delay you see on boot up is NORMAL for a DSL modem. This is due to it taking a minute to be loaded and recognized. Using a router to take care of the login features of DSL will ELIMINATE this delay. Otherwise it is NORMAL.

Z
I just re-read this whole thread...boy was I tired last night. You are sooo right. If you let the router handle the login, When you re-boot, all the PC has to do is talk to the router real quick, which is already/still talking with Verizon. The connection was not lost, so the re-boot is instantanious. A router gives you other advantages as well. You can pick up a good one for under sixty bucks.

oh man sixty bucks to solve a problem. hmm. but wat im the only computer that's using dsl, do i still need a router?

If you don't run behind a router, search for a little program called RASPPPOE if you are using PPPOE DSL. Stops all that searching crap that XP has to do to satisfy itself. :fold:

is the RASPPOE an exe file that I need to download or do I need to find it IN XP? this networking stuff really gives me a headache.

Back