• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Special blocks for Pelts, or can you convert?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albuquerque

Ok, so I'm pretty new to the WC setup, but I'm already looking forward :p

The question is: I have a DTEK Whitewater CPU block and a Maze4 (not the Maze 4-1) GPU block. I've been reading that the whole coldplate -> tec -> block needs to have a lot of clamping pressure, does this mean that I have to get rid of my current blocks and buy ones that are specially designed for peltier elements?

Or is there a way I can "convert" my current ones?

And just out of curiosity, anyone pelt an X800 yet? ;) Curious what size I should go for; I'm thinking an 80w unit just won't be enough.

The whitewater block will not work with pelts period because the internal design is not designed for cooling a large pelt only a smal cpu die.

It may be possible to convert a Maze 4 into a Maze 4-1 by adding the cold plate but im not 100% sure normal maze 4s have the mounting hoes for the cold plate. Oyu will have to check if your block has small 3mm threaded holes in each corner.

A 80w pelt sould be able to handle a x800 well.

Yeah, I did some more research after posting here and realized that my DTEK just cannot cut it for a pelt. I may hold off on pelting my rig until I get a chance to become more accustomed to the WC setup in general. I'm also unsure if my radiator can deal with 400+ watts of heat :eek: (80W pelt + 172W pelt + CPU + GPU)

My temps now aren't that bad, I'm just wanting more...

The main difference between the Maze 4, and Maze 4-1 is the block's base. The Maze 4 has a raised base, to accomodate the shim most GPUs have. The Maze 4-1 has a flat base so that the peltier hot side can have full-contact with the waterblock, while the coldplate has a raised base to accomodate the shim.

An 80W peltier will work fine on your X800 XT - but you won't be seeing sub-ambient temperatures with it. An 80W peltier sees it's full efficiency (~80W) when operated at 16V. Run at 12V, off of your computer's PSU, ~55W is roughly what you'll see.

A 172W peltier, in contrast, handles at about ~66W when run on 12V, and gets to it's peak of 172W when at about ~24V.

Back