• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

did I kill my board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

viper_va

Registered
so I posted this in watercooling, I'll try here now:
I finished installing my waterblocks, fill and bled m system. I boot my system up and I get nothing. The lights on my Ic7 Max3 come on, but I get no output to the monitor. The fans powered by the mobo come on. I rechecked my wiring, it was correct. I unplugged all unecessary cards and cables. Nothing. I swapped video cards. I swapped my processor. I plugged fans into the cpu and northbridge headers. Nothing helped. The processor heats up, as does the ram on the video card. I took the blocks off the processor and northbridge to check for physical damage, saw none. Checked the board traces for damage, saw none. My working theory at the moment is that I somehow microscopicly scratched or damaged my northbridge while putting the waterblock on. My system is as follows:

IC7Max3
P43.0C
Radeon 9800Pro
Swiftech MCW6002, MCW20, and MCW50

The MCW20 mounting hardware didn't work very well, which is why I fear for my northbridge. If anybody has any ideas please share.

i had a similar problem with my board but i have no water cooling. this is what couldve happened to your board: 1. as you said the NB might of gotten scratched. 2. you could have somehow moved your cpu a little to much and fried your CPU socket(as i did and had to get it Rma'd). 3. your PSU couldve gone haywire and fried your MOBO. just my thoughts. If it doesnt turn on now it never will. RMA it. www.abit-usa.com
e-rma service and $25.00

ok, so my only question now is can I legally RMA this board, after removing the northbridge heatsink, or do I have to buy a brand new board. I'm assuming the latter as it's likely me who damaged the board.

Back