• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whatever happened to...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billobob0

Registered
Bong cooling? A couple of years ago it was semi-popular. Even though HardOCP reviewed a system which is similar to the bong system, it obviously does a few things differently. Are bongs just not as efficient as they used to be, or are they just not sexy enough for people?

It's a great, cheap way to cool. Some people just don't like the maintenence of them, adding water everyday. There's also the "man peeing" sound from them. Adding a bit more effort and moolah can overcome those problems.
I was looking at using a bong in wintertime, here it's really dry durring the winter months.

Maybe I'll actually get it done this time :D

Actually, there is a recent thread about a semi-bong cooler right here.
I think that many folks decided that the disadvantages ( size, maintenance, external requirement) outweighed the positives.
It also helps if your climate cooperates...they work great in a very dry climate ( like here in Denver) and not so well in a humid environment ( Atlanta or Houston, say).

I had a 6 footer running a couple years ago. The "peeing" sound and daily refilling quickly put an end to that project. A couple months ago I tried a silent & compact solution. Efficient? Yep, it sure did spank my current radiator setup. Truly silent aswell since it used no fans. But in the end the refilling problem came about again. Sure I could stick a 5 gallon container next to my pc but that's not exactly compact eh?

madcow235 said:
I heard someone found out about this super rare disease that forms in bong systems and is like very very deadly

Legionnaires disease, but that wasn't a huge issue.

If you hooked up a water supply line and a float valve (like in a toilet) it would refill itself. Then you could drop one of those bromine disks in there- the kind you put in hot tubs. It would be self-sufficient and clean.

Unfortunately I don't have a house where I could run lines all over like you pelikan :D.

pelikan said:
If you hooked up a water supply line and a float valve (like in a toilet) it would refill itself. Then you could drop one of those bromine disks in there- the kind you put in hot tubs. It would be self-sufficient and clean.
Screw the bromine... Go with a high-power UV light. Just make sure it's light proof so you don't go blind...

Back