• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Conditioner core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sephis

I was looking through a junkyard for a radiator for my Caddy and run accross a large pile of air conditioner cores. They use 1/2in fittings like most watercooling systems, and I found one that was the exact same size as my side panel. (The core is 15inx16.5in and almost two inches thick.) I'm thinking about replacing the side panel with the core, putting a large fan (as in small car radiator fan) on the inside of the case(seperate power supply will run this as well as WC system). Then replace the other side with a mesh to allow air to be pulled through the case before going through the AC core. I know it sounds crazy, but thats why I want to do it. The only problem I have is can I find a pump strong enough for the huge core.

Edit: I figure many will think "why in the side of the case?" The whole point of this is to try to keep the entire system in one box to keep some semblance of "portability" while remaining audacious. Just thought I would clarify.

Last edited:
get two pumps and run then together. The MCP-600's by Swiftech work like slow gears. They will pump through anything.

Awsome idea. I think that would be very cool. And also very cool.
I hope you do this so I can see pics and results.

A car radiator fan is usually pretty loud (though it would probably run on DC since that's what the car is using) Personally I would just have a grid of 120 (or better yet, those huge 172mm) fans that cover the entire area, that way you can minimize the deadspot, and turn the fans down low with very little noise.

the radiator fan uses alot of power. the fan in my truck(16" from a merc tracer) uses 100A on start up and decreases to 25A running

the motherboardtray would severily limit teh amount of air that could go through the rad. The motherboard tray would cover like 3/4 of your system.

That sounds pretty cool. Not to mention it would give your case a pretty unique look. I say go for it.

Problems.

I want to use the huge fan for the same reason as the AC core, uniqueness. Anyway. I ran into a large problem this morning. I sprayed some water through the core, and most of what came out was rust. :eek: I had some radiator cleaner (basically pure acids, used to clean coolant systems in vehicles), so I washed some through the core. Well, I forgot to dilute the cleaner first. Theres not much left of the copper tubing running through the core. :cry:

Sephis said:
I want to use the huge fan for the same reason as the AC core, uniqueness. Anyway. I ran into a large problem this morning. I sprayed some water through the core, and most of what came out was rust. :eek: I had some radiator cleaner (basically pure acids, used to clean coolant systems in vehicles), so I washed some through the core. Well, I forgot to dilute the cleaner first. Theres not much left of the copper tubing running through the core. :cry:
find another one!

another one

Well I'll be off to the yard to find another tomorrow. By the way Aphex these things arent free, and several of them are broken.

Sephis said:
Well I'll be off to the yard to find another tomorrow. By the way Aphex these things arent free, and several of them are broken.
It's a junkyard, who are you buying the thing from?

do you mean an AC unit for your home?

is it a rad or a expansion for phase change loop?

i have a similar idea with diferent implementation using a japanese version of house AC but they design thiers a lot diferent

In all of the junkyards around here, you go in pull something out and they tell you how much they want for it. Yes it is the radiator type thing on a home AC. Im not sure what it is for, I do know that it flows water straight through and will work for what I'm doing.

Sorry, I don't have a digicam. Anyway, this project has been scrapped. I just got my bill for next semesters tuition, and everything I own will be going towards that. I will have no money for a very long while.

Back