• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i think the mag 3 does add a lot of heat into the water

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

netboy

Registered
I am sure some of you know that i have been messing around with my water cool setup for the past month with a lot of variations to the core, placement and fans. I switched from a 86 chevette core to a bonnevile core, ys-tech fans to enermax adjustables, back to ys-tech, inside the case outside the case. whenever my core was outside the case my load temps were about 55C-57C where as when they were inside the case they would be 50-52C. It didnt matter what core or fan i was using(only very small differnce in temps).It took me a long while to figure this out but i concluded that the when my core was inside and the fan was blowing on the pump my temps would be around 50C when outside the case 55-57C. Just my thoughts and findings, i hope others have stuff to add, as i always welcome any ideas .

first off 50+ degrees is ridiculous for the cooling you have listed in your sig. you're doing something wrong!! try remounting the block?

pumps don't really produce much heat. if you let any pump sit for a long time with no airflow it's going to heat up because plastic doesn't transfer heat very well. just the slightest bit of airflow will keep it cool. it's nothing to worry about, certainly.

There’s been some talk about the K7n2 board and temperature readings. People believe it reads too high. Apparently, MSI made a change in the latest BIOS and now the temps read too low. Personally, I think that you should simply do what you’re doing...use the temps as a relative indicator to your own efforts and don’t worry what the actual number is.

At 35 watts the Mag 3 does indeed generate a lot of heat. However, I seriously doubt that a lack of cooling would somehow put more heat into the water. To test this I put a fan on my Mag 2 (24 watts.) I currently run it inside the case with no air blowing on it…it gets pretty hot. I put a Sunon 80mm fan blowing directly on the pump. After an hour my temperatures were the same.

Sometimes a change of airflow will affect temperatures simply by affecting the airflow over the thermistor on the motherboard. However, your board reads the diode on the CPU, so that can’t be the problem.

What we need are pictures of the two setups. Then we could try to come up with an explanation. However, I would dare go out on a limb and claim that the only factor that could cause such a large difference in temperature is the airflow through the core.

One possibility is that you’re pumping warmed air through the core when it’s inside the case. Another is that you might have too many fans blowing in and not enough blowing out...creating positive pressure in the case. This would reduce the amount of air drawn in through the intake fans. You might have air blockage. But like I said...we can’t speculate intelligently until we see.

Back