• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waterblock question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShortCircuit2

Registered
First, is silicon waterproof, as in can you get water on the non-core part of the cpu and still have it run fine. I was wondering why waterblocks have a copper interface between the water and the core. Why cannot it be like a big o-ring around the cpu so that water comes in direct contact with the core, because it is metal and we put wet stuff(thermal paste) on it anyways. With the elimination of the copper or silver interface, I would think temps would be amazing. Or am I missing something very obvious... Just a thought!

I think it's been tried before. It's too risky to do it because water is water. It has a much higher chance of leaking that way. Sillicon is "water proof" but I doubt you would want to get water so close to electricity. The core simply gets too hot. I saw a video of an AMD chip being left running without the heatsink. It got up to 370*C. That's right, Celsius. Water won't be able to just take all that heat away. You need something to actually cool the core... to take away the heat, and then you can cool that thing with water. Copper is a great cheap material you can use for that job. It's better than aluminum. Silver is even better than copper, but you would need high purity silver, which is very expensive. That's why Cathar's cascade was so good. Diamond is even better, but lol, I'd let you figure out why no one has used it ;)

It's been done. The results are about the same as copper blocks...indicating that use of a copper interface isn't hindering cooling. Since there's so much risk in trying to cool the core directly, with essentially nothing to gain, there's really no reason to do it.

Back