• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are there any Safe Additives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apd

Registered
A close save! Here is what happened. I have an external box that houses the rad, pump and res. A few days ago, my 2-year-old son was yanking on the tubes going into the external box. He managed to pull the tube off the res outlet. Luckily I was working on the pc and moved him away and shut the pc down. No harm done. But a thought has been troubling me since, what if he had swallowed some of the fluid?. I use 10% zerex and 90% distilled water. So it is not that toxic in small quantities, but still I am back on air cool.

Is there a safe coolant (automotive) or a combination of products (special or home use) that I can use to prevent rust and algae? The performance may not be the same but still better than air cooled?

They make a safe anti-freeze but I dont know if it would lower its ability to control algea growth. The big selling point was if your car would leak it wouldnt harm pets.
Last I saw most auto parts stores carry it.

You can use up to 10% rubbing alcohol to control organism growth, and apart from a hangover, your two year old would survive it, not sure about its ‘anti corrosive’ ability though.

LV38_Eagle said:
...not sure about its ‘anti corrosive’ ability though.

Answer = None

Go with the worm gear hose clamp solution. Also, out of sight, out of mind. Cover up the hoses with something the kid can't see through or, better yet, even get through.

Prophylene Glycol is the less toxic, compared to monoethylene Glycols wich are the more toxic ones. Prophylene glycols are also use in the food industry.
With Glycol i mean ofcourse antifreezers, just read the label of contents on the bottle.

Ancient_1 said:
I believe that Sierra is the name of the non-toxic anti-freeze. Been tryin to remember the name since the 1st post.

how about using fluid xp from dtek? (link) from the description it seems as if you wouldn't even need to use antifreeze or any other additive if you used that fluid xp thing. someone please correct me if i'm wrong though

Will try the XP fluid. The reviews did not see major drop in performance. Also the cost when reviewed was $50 for 32 oz now it is $24 for the same. I guess it is worth a try. My reasoning is simple, if I would not bring engine coolent in the house because it is toxic, watercooling is not reason enough. Man how being a parent changes you.

asdasd said:
how about using fluid xp from dtek? (link) from the description it seems as if you wouldn't even need to use antifreeze or any other additive if you used that fluid xp thing. someone please correct me if i'm wrong though

I definitely have stomach aches and eye's hurting from my coolant. I need a biological coolant no matter what cost. But I'm not sure if it mixes with destillitered water or I only have to use this standalone??
I have a 2.5 liter Zalman Reserator!
Can this coolant performe good mixed with destillitered water? Like say 2 liters (0.4399385 gal) of water and one bottle of it.

Last edited:
Jeff Moser said:
This is the answer for your needs HERE This is safe for pets and humans and comes in 4 UV reactive colors and the price is user friendly also.

I don't know it doesn't provide any info and it says used for closed water cooling system. If it was that biological they wouldn't say so.

Just get Propylene Glycol, that's safe. It's just like ordinary Glycol but whiteout any dangerous chemicals and the color is red.

Back