• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can 3/8" tubing fit over fedco 2-342 stock pipe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlin453

I'm looking to switch from 1/2" to 3/8" tubing. Currently I have the 1/2" tubing fitted over the pipe(shortened of course). With the help of some warm water, could the 3/8" tubing fit over it? The reason I ask is because I noticed the 1/2" tubing didn't even need warm water to fit over it(unlike my old chevette hc which needed the warm water).

frodoski said:
You could solder on a cast copper 1/2 inch NPT female adapter and screw a 3/8" x 1/2" NPT brass barb into it.

Yeah I've thought about adding brass barbs but all I have is a low wattage (25W maybe) soldering iron. You think that would do the job?

greenman100 said:
my 1/2" needed hot water , a lighter, and pliers

good luck, be patient if you want to get 3/8"ID

I was thinking that 3/8"ID would take boiling water, a blow torch, vice grips, half a quart of Slick50, a hernia and a lot of cussing but I might be off the mark a little... :D

jlin453 said:
Yeah I've thought about adding brass barbs but all I have is a low wattage (25W maybe) soldering iron. You think that would do the job?

25w is not going to get it done. a $15 propane torch combo from walmart will though...

use boiling water - and here's a tip - TWO pairs of plyers (flat blade and/or needle point work best, OR use hemostats that clip together so you don't have to keep applying pressure), then grab the tubes on both sides, fit the top on the pipe and wiggle it on. will be difficult, but I bet you can do it with some work. maybe trying some KY jelly or water-based lubricant on both the pipe and the inside of the tube.

i heard this good advice and it worked for me getting my 1/2 id tube over the 2-342 tubes the trick is streching it slow get some hot water and a buck of sockets from a tool set and warm the tubing force the biggest socket u can find the soke the socket in the tubing in hot water for few secs the take out and move to bigger socket the hot metal really seems to mold the tubing

Back