• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lsass problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drsomewhat

ive read about how sasser and variants of the blaster worm affect the lsass service, but... why the hell is mine crashing if i dont have any of the worms? how do you fix this?

What exactly do you mean "why the hell is mine crashing", what exactly is going on, and why do you say you dont have any variants of the blaster worm?

ive kept myself up to date on all the blaster/variant patches, and ive been scanning regularly since ive been getting this message - ive got no clue why its popping up, shutting my comp down, etc

To stop the shut down cycle, go to the command prompt and enter in "shutdown -a". That'll at least stop it from continually shutting down.

There's a few other things you could do if you did have the sasser worm, but if you're sure you don't have it, or any of its variants, then I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:
i cant be completely sure -- but i am having another problem with windows explorer crashing on me just about any time i right click icons, and that is a bigger issue to me right now --- im considering reformatting, since i can just move my critical files to another hdd for the time being and then get it back with ease

i really hate windows... too bad i cant play all my games on the alternatives

did you install the patches that microsoft issued? There are other viruses/worms that take over the RPC vulnerability (Blaster's method of attack) and the LSASS vulnerability (Sasser's method). I would get those patches first, then go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com and run their free AV scan... even if you already have AV software installed. if a new virus is found, clean it or remvoe and then disable System Restore... if you don't, you viruses will come back if you have to restore your machine from a previous state.

As for the explorer crashing, I would restart the machine and press F8 several times before the XP boot screen comes up. A new menu will show. From there, select "Last Known Good Configuration" and see if that helps alleviate some of your problems.

Back