• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video software for PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmfdm515

What's the best available software for editing/cutting/pasting video in MPEG AVI and WMV formats? I tried some searching and I can't seem to find a good program that can do all of that to all those formats.

Thanks...

The industry standard on pc is going to be After effects, but thats expensive and cant handle mpeg it will crash, adobe premiere is good for this too but once again it wont handle mpeg too well

Adobe Premiere is the best soft on the market for video editing, but i think it is more suitable for AVI (DivX and such) than MPEG.

You should try Pinnacle Studio, i used it for a while and it supports MPEG and AVI.

TMPG is pretty good "I" think, greatest, probably not...... I have used it for years.link

I use a variety of others as well. But this guy suites my needs. You can pretty much do everything you listed with TMPG.

-ºb§

no real single product recommendations from me as i use a handful of apps for all the formats you mentioned above. premiere is great only if this were your professional. casual editing should not cost you that much. will recommend www.videohelp.com as a great resource for all your video editing needs. tips, tools, guides, etc all can be found there. a lot of freeware apps as well as good 30 trial sharewares for you to try out. goodluck.

Adobe premiere is not the industry standard. Perhaps for home computers or semi professional work but for the most part any large companies would be using Avid products, or even final cut pro is said to be more powerful.

In my opinion Adobe Premiere is kind of annoying to deal with, basically because you always have to render a low qual preview. Same with after effects, you have to do a ram preview to see what you have made, which gets a bit tedious.

I personally would recommend Sonic Foundry Vegas Video (which is actually now Sony Vegas Video)

It is really easy to use, yet at the same time powerfull, runs much smoother than premiere, (it has in my experience anyway) and you can add effects/transitions/keyframed effects and have a low quality preview with out any pre rendering as you work. Ive used it numerous times and I am always happy with what it has to offer.

No comments about TMPG? Anyone used it before? Just curious of peoples thoughts on it. I haven't used any of the "big dog" apps like you guys have mentioned. Maybe I'm lacking knowledge here.

I really like the fact that you can just add 50 clips & it will convert to one clip. You can also edit them any which way you want. I have a Canon Powershot A300 & it has a movie mode, but unfortunately it only records 180 seconds before it shuts off. This does suck, but if your quick you only lose 1 second of video time. I also have a 512meg CF card in it so.......I can record about an hour of 340x240 resolution. I generally then take all those clips & convert them into one & burn to a VCD format on a 80min CD-R to play in my VCD/SVCD compatible CD-R dvd player.

obsolete said:
No comments about TMPG? Anyone used it before? Just curious of peoples thoughts on it. I haven't used any of the "big dog" apps like you guys have mentioned. Maybe I'm lacking knowledge here.

I really like the fact that you can just add 50 clips & it will convert to one clip. You can also edit them any which way you want. I have a Canon Powershot A300 & it has a movie mode, but unfortunately it only records 180 seconds before it shuts off. This does suck, but if your quick you only lose 1 second of video time. I also have a 512meg CF card in it so.......I can record about an hour of 340x240 resolution. I generally then take all those clips & convert them into one & burn to a VCD format on a 80min CD-R to play in my VCD/SVCD compatible CD-R dvd player.

i use tmpgenc 3.0 xpress and love it for what it does. converts xvids and other sources into mpeg2's for dvd burning. i got canon s400 and they do limit you to 3 minutes on all of them. thing i love about tmpgenc is they give you the option of doin 2 pass VBR which i couldn't live without.

Yes! Tmpgenc 3.0 Xpress is what I use as well. The quality of sound that my camera records at is not the greatest by any means. So for me, getting picky about VBR & CBR is ........... Not necessary. Then again, (obviously) knowledge wise, I'm not all to updated on ALL the differences. You definately will have me reading/figuring it out though.

I LOVE editing and filming. I have premiere pro 1.5, and sonic foundry vegas (as already stated sony vegas video). The vegas video a lot more user freindly or dare I day newbie freindly. Premiere pro, just as any other adobe program (photoshop, illustrator, ect...) can get SUPER advanced. Which brings me to my point. Premiere is by far my favorite editing software ever, once you get really good at it the possibilities are endless.

Back