• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Shutdown failsafe - in case of pump breakdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heatwave

Is there a software out there that could immediately shutdown the PC - regardless if the CPU temperature reach a certain point?

I know MBM 5 does give an alarm - but it doesn't shut the PC down.

The BIOS have thermal protection but I have no clue how that functions.

heatwave said:
Is there a software out there that could immediately shutdown the PC - regardless if the CPU temperature reach a certain point?

I know MBM 5 does give an alarm - but it doesn't shut the PC down.

The BIOS have thermal protection but I have no clue how that functions.

On the AMD boards I use, NF7/AN7, there is a thermal shut-down temperature setting in the BIOS. You just set it to whatever temperature that you feel that the CPU should shut down at.

I set mine to 60C and tested it and it worked. I turned the pumps off, and waited. In about 2 minutes the system powered off with the BIOS emitting the "sick donkey" eee-awww siren.

Alternatively you can set MotherBoard Monitor 5 to shut down(requires a plugin but does work) at a certain temp... but that won't help if your system locks up first ;)

some ppl i know use relays where if no juice is going to the pump, the power going to the psu will be cut

Somewhere I saw an inline flow sensor you could hook into your motherboard rpm sensor, and if your bios/mbm5 could be set to shutdown if that were to reach 0, that would work just fine.

I wouldn't bother with it though. Just set you bios to a safe shutdown temp, 60C is a good one.

I use MBM 5 and when a temp reaches over a certain limit (I set mine to 55oC because at that temp I know something is fked but the computer won't crash) it runs shutdown.exe, a util I found on the net, it forces shutdowns also so my computer shuts down in about 3 seconds.

I think his question was more geared towards shutting down the computer regardless of temperature. although if something in ur watercooling system was to malfunction or stop such as the pump ur temperatures would rise rather quickly and then a temp triggered shutdown would work just fine.

Mbm5

I use MBM5 (Motherboard Monitor 5, for those who dont know.) I also got the plugin SHDN (Shutdown Now) which is also an independant program that you can use at any time, with it's runtime switches.

In MBM5, under temperatures, go to visual, and make sure the alarm is on, then click on "Use SHDN" (Or whatever it says) and change the switch to /fshutdown. Which is like hitting the power button.

You cannot turn Shdn on though, unless you have it so:

Here's the download link.

Enjoy.

- Cheers

Back