• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

boot problems in winxp, BSODs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

intox

when i try to boot normally, it gets to the boot screen and then it gives me a BSOD that says "STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005,0x03020100,0xf87854f0,0x00000000).
i can get into safe mode but thats it.
the first time this happened was when i was using bootvis, i didnt change any of the settings, i just set it to do a reboot and then this happened. i am thinking that some of the boot files must be corrupted. it boots into safe mode just fine, which coincidently does not use the boot screen. i will try a repair install of winxp but i was wondering if the repair install will do anything to files or the registry? i am also scanning for a virus right now just to be sure. any help would be appreciated. thanks

your files should be cool but the registry might change. I have run bootvis many times and never run into any problems. maybe you can uninstall it in safe mode and see if anything changes.

it wont let me uninstall it in safe mode because you cant run the windows installer in safe mode
i tried manually deleting it but that didnt help.
i guess i could just backup my registry
worst comes to worst i could install winxp on my other partition and use that as the boot partition and use the one im using now just for storage (shoulda done that in the first place).
any other ideas?

well maybe do that to back up first. did you see the article on the front page about making a unattended install disc? might be worth a look if you have the time to make this before doing another fresh install.

good idea, ill check it out, but i really want to avoid it, i have so many files that i need to back up, oh well i guess. any quick help before i do anything stupid? lol

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compability issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

STOP 0x0000008e” Error Message During Windows XP Setup {KB 315335}
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315335
Games: “Stop” Error Message That References Nv4_disp.dll {KB 325730} Flight Simulator, other games (wth Nvidia-based video adapter)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=325730
Your Computer Stops Responding When You Use the Highlighter Feature & the Font Color Feature {KB 829578}
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=829578

i have the latest BIOS installed and all the newest drivers. everything was working fine until i ran bootvis. i still think its some kind of corruption in one or more of the boot files. grrrrrrrrr

I just thought I'd point out a couple of things that I know about Bootvis...
"Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system."
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/default.mspx

After having experimented with the program myself a number of times, I found that Bootvis (run immediately after Setup) will put things into about the same order that they will settle into within about three weeks or so throughout XP's normal optimization routines. I found out from my own experience that it's not a good idea to run it after that time though, and have the two methods fight over detail...but running it initially can do a bit of immediate speed up. One other point to mention is the fact that any changes made by Bootvis are irreversible.

I've also read of a number of people that have ended up with corrupted files by using the "Optimize" feature of the tool. In addition, the reason MS withdrew it from provision to end users was because advice to use it was resulting in people running it every day or so, and in fact making things worse...afa the two methods conflicting with one another.

that must be the problem, but i didnt run the optimize feature. i should have researched this more thoroughly before downloading bootvis. will a repair install fix the problem or will i have to do a complete reformat? please give me an answer asap. thanks redduc900

no luck, setup says it cant find any hard drives installed :S looks like im headed for a reinstall. looks like its time to go into safe mode and start backing stuff up. im gonna try the unattended install thing.

still no luck, seems all my restore points are messed up, it only works when i dont use my settings at all (after step 1). might as well go with a reformat. thanks for all your help guys.

Back