• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 2.4 ghz @ 3.2 ghz MAX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

I had a 2.8 ghz that would tap out at 3.31 ghz with corsair pc3700. I got rid of the corsair pc3700 and got myself some OCZ PC4200. Then I got myself a 2.4 ghz P4 to be able to overclock 1:1 with the OCZ Ram.

My system is now overclocked from a 2.4 ghz to 3.2 ghz. It ran fine a couple of turns in Memtest and Prime95 (blend test), but yesturday night I left it running Prime95 (in-place large FFT) and it gave me an error after an hour and 27 minutes.

Do you think I would have to lower my FSB cause then I am not going to have the ram at 533 mhz overclock. What else can I do to see if this overclock at FSB 267 will be stable cause I run Sandra tests fine, I run Memtest fine, I run 3dmark03 and PCmark04 just fine, and I burned a couple of dvd's without problems.

My vocre is set to 1.6 volts, reads high 1.65 v, low 1.55 v, average 1.62 v, current 1.63 v. My ram voltage is set to 2.85 v and my agp is set to 1.7 v. Timings are as they say in the ddr 3-4-4-8-4.

I see other peope running other timings with CAS 2.5, is it possible with this setup. I see them using Turbo Acceleration and Memory Acceleration enable, which is quit good and not getting errors. I also heard that hyper threading can also cause overclocking failures and some people turn it off because they say they get more improvement with the overclock headroom than actually have it on.

Anyways, if you have any suggestions, let me know....

-----------
SPECS:
BLACK ASPIRE X-DREAMER ALUMINUM CASE
SIX SURON HIGH 50 CFM OUTPUT FANS
BLACK VANTEC FAN AND LIGHT CONTROLLER
VIEWSONIC A90F+ 19 INCH FLAT CRT MONITOR
ENERMAX 550 WATT POWER SUPPLY 36 AMPS 12+,5+,3.3+
ASUS P4P800 DELUXE BIOS 1017.004 Beta
P4 2.4 GHZ @ 3.2 GHZ FSB 267 (ZALMAN 7000CU HS)
OCZ 1024MB (2 x 512MB) PC 4200 DDR533
TWO MAXTOR SATA 120 GB 7200 RPM HD'S IN RAID 0
MAXTOR IDE-133 120 GB 7200 RPM HD
ALL INTERNAL HD'S HAVE A VANTEC DUAL FAN COOLER
MAXTOR 160 GB 7200 RPM EXTERNAL FIREWIRE HD
MAXTOR 120 GB 5400 RPM EXTERNAL USB 2.0 HD
BLACK NEC 2500 @ 2510 8X DL DVD+/-R WRITER
BLACK LITEON 401S @ 811S DVD+/-R WRITER
BLACK LITEON 166S 16X DVD-ROM
RADEON 9800 PRO 128 MB @ 430/700
ARTIC COOLING VGA SILENCER REVISION 3
CREATIVE LABS PLATINUM 5.1 WITH BLACK FRONT PANEL
LEADTEK WINFAST XP/2000 DELUXE PCI TV/FM TUNER CARD
ADAPTEC 2 FIREWIRE\3 USB 2.0 PCI CARD
WINDOWS XP PRO SP2 built 2162

Sorry about that, I was just letting know what was in my system before they start asking questions like do you have enough fans or what heatsink do you have. Anyways, yes I know what you meant that no two people are the same in their overclocking.

I just want some advice on my settings, like voltages, timings, and the acceleration modes. I have seen people with the same ram and cpu run with other timings and acceration modes on. That is what I am trying to find out...Also I heard that turning hyper threading is better for overclocking and it does make a big difference having it off, well is that true?

Thanks,
dja2k

mine is stable.. i know i can go higher, if only i do vdimm modd... but pretty contented with current settings right now :)

Well just ran mine for 2.5 hours stable on Memtest. By the way, how do you go stable with having Turbo on and mem acceleration Enabled. I can't seem to do that, it will give me errors. Thanks for your post.

dja2k

hmmm dunno.. depends on ram? not sure.. the last test i ran was 22hrs prime stable

Well I bump the cpu to 3.3 ghz FSB 275. Everything seems to work fine, Memtest ran for an hour without errors and prime95 as well. It actually gave me a good bump in the mb/s in sandra test with just 100 mhz more, wow! I also wanted to find out my vcore voltage is going nuts, I have it set in the bios at 1.575 and it reads in CPU-Z and Asus Probe as 1.632/1.648 yet motherboard monitor would read 1.57/1.60, but when I switch the voltage configuration from asus p4p800 to winbound W83627THF-A, it gave the same reading as CPU-Z and Probe. Very interesting, yet is this setting safe, don't you think its a bit off for what I have in the bios?

Thanks
dja2k

the vcore on p4p800's are unstable.. thats y u have to do the drop modd... but me, i didnt have problems with it, not getting errors so i didnt do any modds. I have been oc'ing for 7 months now... and its ok, so i guess its ok :)

Thanks for your reply!

Hey so if you say its unstable and people do a drop volt mod, what vocre voltage value do you have in the bios, and what values does it read to you? By the way, I think I am stable for now, prime95 ran six hours last night in a mixed torture test reporting no errors and no warnings.

dja2k

sorry, i cant actually answer u with the mods results since i havent actually done it :(

Back