• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time run disaster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NovaShine

I got my watercooling stuff not too long ago and im in the process of getting the reservoir done up, so, me and my friend decided to leaktest the other stuff first, so we hooked up a spare Sparkle 250W PSU up to the Swiftech MCP600, my friend whipped up a brass T-Line with 3 barbs and a T connecter cuz we couldnt find any plastic ones around. Since i was moving house, i was a bit too busy to mess with it, so it ended up running for 4 days straight with straight distilled water. My setup in that leaktest is as listed:

DangerDen RBX for Socket 478
DangerDen Maze 4 NorthBridge block for i865/i875
Clearflex60 1/2" ID
Swiftech MCP600 Pump
D-Tek JR-120 Radiator

Now, when i dissassembled it, i noticed that the RBX and Maze 4 seemed kinda tarnished on the inside and the hoses were really fogged up. Here are some pics

Anyone know what's wrong? Is my RBX and Clearflex screwed? Would it have happened to my pump and rad too?

Attachments

• Fogged Clearflex.JPG
    Fogged Clearflex.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 90
  • RBX tarnished.JPG
    RBX tarnished.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 85
Im pretty sure it's distilled water, it said distilled water on the bottle. Im suspecting it's the teflon tape we used on the T-Line, but i cant be sure...

i'm pretty use using only distilled water in a loop would cause corrosion. thats the reason why almost everyone mixes in some sort of anticorrosive fluid like water wetter or anti freeze. the corrosion on your block can be easily be ridded of by soaking it in vinegar for a few minutes and then cleaning it up with some alchohol. as for your radiator, you could plug up one end and fill it maybe half way with vinegar. then plug up the other end and shake it around. after doing that, you should flush it out with distilled water. your pump should be fine because pumps are commonly used in fountains and fishtanks which dont even use distilled water. despite that they still run for years. as for your clearflex, i remember reading a thread on how to clean clouded clearflex a while ago. do a quick search and you might find the answer to that

cheers

actually that friend would happen to be me :) the rbx and maze4 arent really tarnished or oxidised as copper oxide in green not white, also asdasd straight distilled water in a copper/brass loop will not cause galvanic corrosion as they are very close on the galvanic scale. most likley it was the teflon tape coming apart as teh fittings i had avaliable locally did not have a tapered thread so I had to use excessive amounts of teflon tape toget it to seal, unlike my own system i have here which has tapered threads on teh t fitting allowing me to use minimal amounts of teflon tape(2-3 wraps instead of about 20)
also the teflon tape we got in hongkona mabe be of inferior quality or the distilled water may not have been distilled. this waS very erm... odd

another possibility i jsut thought of could be bacteria as it did not contain any biocides, my loop has some copper sulphate in it as a biocide and is perfectly clear after 2-3 days of testing, a problem i am having is that i tested it with some dye so i would know what it would look like and not have brown water that looks like diluted sewage... btw im using the green d-tek dye so be warned use very little copper sulphate if you use teh green dye or you will have sewage colored water ...

I'm thinking that since this was the first time these parts were run, you need to add a drop of dishsoap down the t-line to clean all the machine oils and fluxes out, flush repeatedly, and try it again.
Teflon tape does not dissolve, and will sit underwater for decades unchanged.

These parts all come in a nice clean box, but that's the first time they've ever seen clean. They all come from factories.

Don't add too much soap, and if your pump starts to get louder, stop it and begin the flushing process. Bubbles mess with the impeller lubrication as does the drop in surface tension of the water.

If you're bugged by the discoloration of the copper inside the block, squirt some ketchup down into one barb until it comes out the other. Wait 30 miutes and rinse it out with hot water, then a splash of distilled...nice and clean. If it's gonna be a while before you put the system back together, fill with distilled, and use a 5" piece of tubing to join the barbs together to keep air away from the copper.

Have fun, Gents!

Back