• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comparing Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KaHNZa

I would like to know the differences between Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter etc. I'm needing to format and reinstall soon and am wondering if I should stay with Windows 2000 or if the upgrade to Windows Server 2003 would be worthwhile?

Unless you're using more than 2 cpu's going above the standard edition is a waste of space on the harddisk.

So lets keep the comparison between 2000 and 2003. With 2003 server you'll get a lot faster system already locked down from the beginning, whereas 2000 is litereally an open barn that needs a million patches from the beginning.

You'll see the most immediate improvements to the ADS handling and network utilieis. These have grown quite a bit, and finally their DNS server is really great.

But seriously though, you wont get anything out of 2003 server if you're just into games or graphics.... its primarily a server edition, and hence the server side has been improveed over 2000.

Cheers, Flix

Windows 2003 server will also give you the XP GUI :rolleyes:

If I'm not mistaken, you'll also get improved driver recognition/compatibility plus features such as system restore, built-in CD burning (FWIW) and all of the other XP bits and pieces you'll either love or hate.

Back