• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead P4P800 Deluxe mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lapino

Since yesterday evening, my P4P800 Deluxe seems to have stopped working. Reason? No idea. My rig was running fine with my Radeon X800PRO. Had to remove the X800PRO to test a 9800PRO for a friend, booted and got a black screen. Removed the 9800PRO, put the X800PRO back in, booted, black screen!

First I though (feared!) that somehow my X800PRO got broken, but after a LOT of testing and completely reinstalling a barebone pc I had around, it seems the X800PRO still works fine.

So the only options left are the mainboard, mem or cpu. I tried the mem in the barebone pc and it runs fine, so I don't think that's the problem. The cpu has been working fine for a couple months and never got above 40°C (watercooled) so that won't be the problem either. Leaved me with the mainboard.

Symptoms : when I boot, I hear the harddrives spin up and the power on + hdd lights are on too...but the HDD light STAYS on and I get nothing. Not even a beep to warn me what's wrong.

I already tried resetting the cmos (exactly how it's told in manual, even removed the battery), tried removing all expansion cards, tried to boot without harddrives connected, tried different configurations of ram etc... but still, the same thing happens

Any1 got ANY idea what I could do to get the mainboard back to working state? Or is it simply broken?

found it was the chipset that's broken, probably the waterblock made bad contact thus frying the chipset. I'm pretty sure that's the problem because I removed the waterblock and put on the standard heatsink and after 2 secs the heatsink is VERY VERY HOT (burning fingers...). So my guess is the chipset is broken.

Bought a second P4P800-E yesterday, installed it (without WC) and it worked fine. Only (added and much worse) problem is that my Radeon X800PRO seems to be broken too (all distorted lines at display, even in POST). Don't think I have to tell ya I'm a bit upset :(

Install some new drivers for that x800 card. I had the same prob when I first installed my 9800pro 256mb card in my machine!

I had the same crap happened to me...P4C800-E DX working perfectly fine till it suddenly blacked out on me....it never booted again...blank screen..this is with a 9800 pro.....these board have a tendency to die at a very early age...lol.lol....

G.L.
Vflux

Back