• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCW6000 or 6002...hard choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Senater_Cache

I am definetely going with one of the MCW6k series WB.
I will be using either the MCP600 (AquaXtreme) or the D4 (leaning towards D4)
I had my mind set on 1/2 ID tubing, though the truth is, that 3/8 tubing is becoming more and more appealing to me as it is easier to route and won't stress the block mounting as much.

What appeals to me is that the MCW6000 performs equal to, and at certain flowrates even better than its 1/2 brother.

If I do go with 3/8 ID tubing I will continue to use 1/2 OD barbs for the Core (DtekPro) and will probably plumb larger diameter tubing between the T and the pump inlet.

My question is ( I actually just need peer reassurance:p ), would anybody here recommend this path?
I was so focused on getting 1/2 tubing that I am now having a hard time considering other options. lol :beer:

3/8 ID tubing over 1/2 OD barbing sounds good to me (and unrestrictive, too)

Phaestus proved that the MCW6002 wont outperform the MCW6000 in a setup similar to mine. As shown in the attached image.
Recommendations are appreciated

SenC.

Attachments

• mcw6002flow.gif
    mcw6002flow.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 274
3/8 ID tubing always appeals to me, but I always end up with 1/2" ID... I think your plan sounds very solid, go for the 3/8 and the 6000.

thanks nikshub , I do consider you as a very valid source on WC matters (have learned from many of your posts)

btw,
Do you think I will get one of your silent D4s if I buy from DD in the near future (2-3 weeks)?

SenC.

Senater_Cache said:
btw,
Do you think I will get one of your silent D4s if I buy from DD in the near future (2-3 weeks)?

SenC.
I would think so as I believe all D4's are now this new quieter version. I can tell you this, it will take some serious work to get 3/8 ID over the D4's barbs, but it can be done I'm sure.

they have that little ring-like thing dont they, the barbs I mean.
Whats the ACTUAL OD of the barbs?
I noticed it and thought about it. However, in my case only the pressure side would receive 3/8. The suction side will have a large diameter tube going to the T (prob. 3/4" or 1" ID)
Have there been reports of the D4 with threaded barbs?

SenC.

Yes threaded barbed housing is available, just not through any retail channels that I've seen, but on the laing site, they do show them.

just keep in mind, that the 02 is less restrictive, so if you would have normally gotten .75 gpm from the 00, you could get close to 1 gpm from the 02, and thus slightly better performance. I will get the aquaextreme because of different fittings put on by cooltechnica. You also have my idea of tubing, have all 1/2" barbs but 3/8 tubing, should only suffer a small decrease compared to 1/2" tubing, though is even better if 1/2 would have kinked by routing problems.

even if u were to get to 2gpm (which is hard with this block) the difference will be hard to notice, possibly a 1 to 2c improvement/loss.
I believe swifty made two models to fit anyone that already has a X/X ID sized system and doesn't want to change ID.

yes korndog that is surely what they did.
didnt you used to run 3/8 ? I thought I saw a pic of your setup (pre-blower) and it looked like 3/8.
If yes how much easier was the routing with 3/8 as I have practivcally the same case.

senC.

Cyrix_2k said:
I'd do 3/8"ID tubing over all 1/2"barbs which means you should get the 6002...
I thought about that a while back, but after reserach I am left uncertain about the nozzle design in the MCW6000. I am certain however that the MCW6002 has a tapered nozzle (slight impignment). And think that has something to do with the performance difference. (its just not the same block as the 00 in regards to the nozzle)

Why doesnt someone who has an MCW6000 or 02 and some time on their hands do a little experiment.

What you should do is make a little funnel inlet out of thin copper sheets or stainless steel and insert it into the inlet barb. The goal would be to achieve impignment from 3/8 to1/4ID in the MCW6002 inlet nozzle. I would be curious to know if the accelerated water would further improve the cooling and perhaps match the 02s performance with that of the 00s at higher flowrates.

Once I get my block I will surely try this out, but that wont be for another month or so.
someone do it !! :burn:

SenC.

I belive BillA has tested both blocks (6000 with 3/8 tubing and 6002 with 1/2 tubing) and there was very little differance between the 2 suggesting that you wont loose any performance by using the 6000 and 3/8".

cyrix said:
I'd do 3/8"ID tubing over all 1/2"barbs which means you should get the 6002...

If you do that dont get a 6002 get the 6000 as you will gain more from the inpingement gains at higer flow.

If it was me id find an adaptor and use a 6000 with 1/2" tubing. Best of both worlds then. Or reduce the inlet diamiter on a 6002. I dont belive you would gain much from going the route tho.

guys
look at the image on the site
mcw6002-transparent.gif

the MCW6002 already has a nozzle (and why its performance is ~ equal to the MCP6000)

remember that a 1/4" nozzle will result in a low flow system, period
are you sure you know where you're headed ?
BTW, I have no 'problem' with low flow systems, they are just not too popular in the US

So the nozzle size is the same for both? I was under the impression that the 6000 had a smaller nozzle than the 6002.

How do you explain the differance in performance shown in the procooling test? Error?

(Im not disputing just trying to lurn) :)

a straight tube is a more effective nozzle at higher flow rates ?
seems to fit the evidence

Oh ok so the 6000 lacks the nozzle design illustrated in the pic posted above.
Everything is clear now.

My current decision to go with 1/2 and the 02 is however not based on block performance (the 02 shows to be weaker than the 00 at high flowrates) but rather on my wanting the D4. I have not seen the D4 being sold with 3/8 OD barbs as of today. Therefore I will go with 1/2

>>edit<<BillA, is there a 3/8 version of the MCP650 coming (seems like there should be considering swifty's widespread use of 3/8). If so, how does its performance scale in comparison to the pump with 1/2 and 3/4 barbs?
If you are unable to comment on that right now, please be so kind and give me/us the spec release date.
SenC.

Swiftech hat ON:

new product announcments are made 30 days in advance to our distributors
sometimes such info becomes public during that period, sometimes not - but not by Swiftech

variants of the MCP650 are in development, but these are many months away - not even dwgs yet, ok ?

Back