• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need data stored in two places.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkgonra

I am looking for a way to keep all documents and e-mails copied on my local machines and on the server. I know I can do a manual backup but is there any way that I can set it up to automatically store data in two places ?

not sure if this is exactly what your looking for but

couldnt you save your stuff on the server and have it run an auto back up and save the back up file to your computer?

I am already running NT backup nightly, but I would like something that would automatically keep a mirror image on both the local machine and the server all the time.

well bump then becuase i could use something like that too

You can setup 'off-line' folders in XP. This can keep a local cached version of selected network shares. Go to 'control panel -> folder options->Offline files tab' to enable this feature. You then need to select what you want to be saved locally.

Also if you are on a Active Directory domain, it is possible to have your profile stored on a network drive. A local version is also cached so it can be accessed when you are not connected to the server.

wow - this is an old thread...

hkgonra said:
How do you set which one is the master ?

When there are synchronization conflicts (both local and network changed) it will ask which to keep.

Exchange server will do the trick :) But if you don't have $1500 to blow then read on.

One possibility as mentioned would be offline folders. What are you using as an email client? If your using Outlook you could store your archive on the server in a shared folder and set it to be available offline. You would then have two copies.

If your using another mail client that stores email as files you could set up scheduler to run a bat or command script to copy the email at a specific interval. I use robocopy at work to replicate data. Its free from MS. Just do a search for robocopy.

there is a program we use at work called "file scan tool" it montiors a directory and when anything pops in there i saves to to where every you spesify ( multiable places)

Back