• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it going to be worth the switch for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Permanoob

I'm using an SP-97 and running my proc at 2v and I'm only getting a load temp of 54c. Idle at 45c. I'm seeing people running 1.85v and getting higher temps than I'm getting. Is it really going to do me any good to move to a water cooling setup for anything other than silence?

Prob not. WC'ing for you would be for silence and reliability unless you want to spend an insane amount of money,,,

::Edit:: what's your ambient temp?

Ambient temp I believe is 21-23c. I'm not at home right now to look. Pretty sure that's it though. The side of the case is off right now while I've been OC'ing. Will be pushing more air through it through once it's closed up.

*edit* had wrong ambient temps

Proc temp recordings are coming from the socket temp reader. Any suggestions on a more accurate reading without having to buy some digital thermometer?

Ok, yeah, socket temp's inaccurate... But I'm using it too. Right now I'm idling at 41c with ambient at 31c so that's a 10c delta with my fan turned up. With my fan at an inaudible speed, my temp's usually at ~46c idle with the same ambient temp.

All this was done using the system in my sig, but at 2ghz @ 1.89v.

Getting ready to run P95.

I would really like to build a setup and I have some fairly cool ideas that I haven't seen after searching the cooling forums. But as most people I'm not exactly rich and don't want to invest the money and time if I'm going to be pulling the same temps if not higher.

I'm running a 2500M at 2700(216X12.5) 2V. I was using a SP97 with a tornado at 7V with temps under load 53-54C. The noise still bothered me so I changed to watercooling, mostly for less noise. My load temps are 44-46C. I built an external WC box from 1X12s.
Bonneville HC
TDK waterblock
Mag 3 pump
4 Evercool fans at 7V(2 push, 2 PULL)
homemade resevoir
1/2" ID 3/4 OD hose
Total cost was around $210

Permanoob said:
I would really like to build a setup and I have some fairly cool ideas that I haven't seen after searching the cooling forums. But as most people I'm not exactly rich and don't want to invest the money and time if I'm going to be pulling the same temps if not higher.
well your temps WILL be better with water, but prob not that much better. However I still feel you should go to water for silence and the experience. After you set up your first loop, you'll end being sick of the pump/rad/fans/wb/tubing you currently have and upgrade your loop. It's an addiction, it really is.

Permanoob said:
Proc temp recordings are coming from the socket temp reader. Any suggestions on a more accurate reading without having to buy some digital thermometer?

Temp sensors can be bought for as little as about $30. It's worth the investment. I have seen some 10c average descrepencie from real vs socket temps - the highest was about 20c. If I remember right, socket was mid 10c and real was - 12c... member of proforums with pelt. You could be frying your proc to death.

pwnt by pat said:
Temp sensors can be bought for as little as about $30. It's worth the investment. I have seen some 10c average descrepencie from real vs socket temps - the highest was about 20c. If I remember right, socket was mid 10c and real was - 12c... member of proforums with pelt. You could be frying your proc to death.

Is there a temp sensor you recommend and where could I get it?

Also, my thoughts on the thread...I was in the same situation with a sp-94 and had great cooling with it. The low noise and a new hobby was of interest to me so that's why I went with water. You might gain a little temp improvement with water, but not much. The temps alone won't be worth the change. I'm enjoying all the research, picking out parts, some modding to my case etc. That's worth the money to me.

Yah I've decided I'm going to go ahead with my project. I bought a new case last night to accomodate the water cooling. I'm looking at a water cooling setup that I've searched the boards and can't see anyone that's done such a thing yet. I'm not going to say what it is though until I'm done heh. Don't want my idea stolen, if in fact it hasn't been done by someone here before.

Back