• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I updated my WC rig. (used a T instead of Y)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTrO bOiE

With the Y fitting, my tubing eventually kinked, and it looked tacky because I had to use a rubberband to hold it up or else the case side wouldn't go on... I changed the Y fitting over to a T and now it looks alot better.

Before:
mvc-018s.jpg

After
mvc-042s.jpg

mvc-043s.jpg

so let me get this straight, you use hose clamps on the block but not on the t fitting?
i would suggest getting clamps on all connections.
i have seen to many people fry or almost fry their stuff because they didnt use hose clamps
but it is up to you, if you think it is secure then it is ok.
also you should get a shroud for the heater core.
people have said they get lower temps and less noise when using a shroud
just a suggestion.
and your system looks pretty sweet too :)

~Magick_Man~

important thing is, did you notice any difference in temps?

i've found that fittings like that t-line are more likely to leak on my IF i put on barbs. no joke. the tri-slotted barbs like on waterblock definitely need them, but the ones on the plastic fittings only have one notch and hold the tubing much more securely.

Temps went down about 1 or 2 degrees. It's really hard to tell because this board's sensors depend on what the CPU is doing... I know it sounds stupid but if I do something like open up firefox, the temps will jump up from 38 to 45 and then to 40. I know there's no way it can heat up in a split second like that. My temps might seem a little high compared to others, but my computer is in the sunroom and well it gets kinda toasty in here, but in the winter... it's paradise. I can get my temps down to 20C. :clap:

As far as needing clamps on the t-line, crimedog took the works right out of my mouth. I don't need them, I can barely get the hoses off of the black fittings with my own two hands... if it takes that much force then if the hoses come off it WOULD NOT have been an accident. :)

Shrouds, I'm still working on.. I was about to order a pair, but then I had a week of RMA troubles and had to send 3 different things back which added up to about $40 in shipping which was for my shrouds :mad:

Slater, I get what your trying to say, but I don't think it affects it that much since, the outlet hoses are the same exact size.

I think you could have accomplished the same thing if you shortened the line from the Y to the rad so you wouldn't have that big loop of hose which is the cause of it kinking.

I would alos really suggest clamps on everything, Just to be on the safe side. Clamps are a lot cheaper than pc components.

JDXNC said:
I think you could have accomplished the same thing if you shortened the line from the Y to the rad so you wouldn't have that big loop of hose which is the cause of it kinking.

Nope, it wouldn't have worked. The bend would have been too sharp or the case side would have kinked it when I put it on.

If you made the left outlets tubing a little longer on that Y fittign i think you could have acheived what you were looking for.

eXCeSS said:
If you made the left outlets tubing a little longer on that Y fittign i think you could have acheived what you were looking for.

I agree, this would solve your problem.

NiTrO bOiE said:
With the Y fitting, my tubing eventually kinked, and it looked tacky because I had to use a rubberband to hold it up or else the case side wouldn't go on... I changed the Y fitting over to a T and now it looks alot better.

mvc-043s.jpg

unfortunaltely you have now unbalanced the flow through the block (since the right hand side is more restrictive than the left...)

i suspect the best solution would have been to have lengthened both sides (by the same amount) and put the "Y" nearer the rad.....

i would have to agree whith these guys .. T line is a bad idea but if its not really affecting your temps then it doesnt really matter, after all the final load temps are the whole point

sorry to go a bit of topic but I see you have a VIA Aqua pump running inline ... i was wondering how cool does that run .. i have a water cooling rig with similar hardware .. ie. same heater core same pump and similar water block but i have to keep the pump submerged in a 6x6x5in resevoir casue i was afraid that an inline pump would get hot and that no resevoir would mean less water therefore higher temps. But if your rig can cool an athlon 64 OC then maybe I was wrong .. it would be nice to reduce the size of my rig .. kinda big with resevoir and its heavier than an M1 Tank

merlinx29 said:
i would have to agree whith these guys .. T line is a bad idea but if its not really affecting your temps then it doesnt really matter, after all the final load temps are the whole point

sorry to go a bit of topic but I see you have a VIA Aqua pump running inline ... i was wondering how cool does that run .. i have a water cooling rig with similar hardware .. ie. same heater core same pump and similar water block but i have to keep the pump submerged in a 6x6x5in resevoir casue i was afraid that an inline pump would get hot and that no resevoir would mean less water therefore higher temps. But if your rig can cool an athlon 64 OC then maybe I was wrong .. it would be nice to reduce the size of my rig .. kinda big with resevoir and its heavier than an M1 Tank

I've had a via inline for 3 months, no probs

hummm thats interesting .. maybe its time to downsize my rig

some pics:
pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

BTW .. that last pic is old .. now i have the rig with a Y split between the video card and the CPU ... pic 2 shows the righ setup with 2 Y's outside ... i tried using a T but it didnt work too well it would cut off the flow from one of the lines

i made the Y's out of copper pipes welded into a why .. they came out really nice

Last edited:
merlinx29 said:

It's pretty cool. I'd say about 40 degrees (about as hot as a hard drive).

Heres how i do mine. Its in a much tighter space but works pretty well. No kinks + no t-lines (crappy Y tho :cry: ):D

Attachments

• tuberouting.jpg
    tuberouting.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 144
Back