• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will i have A PROBLEM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

im about to install a new mobo and cpu. im keeping everything else like hd's and vid card. im just changing the mobo and cpu. if i have to reformat my comp will windows ask me to enter a activation key?

ive formated in the past and it never asked me. wassup with this?

it didn't come with the key.

its just a disc that says

Operating System windows xp home edition

version 1.1 for distrubution with a gateway pc only.
To begin reinstallation insert cd in cd drive
restart
follow instructions

i never had to enter a key when i first got the computer

I work on Gateway PC's every day at work, and I've had to format many of them. I've never had to enter the registration key when using the software that came with the machine, so you'll probably be okay.

Let me try to clarify this... You have a Gateway machine, which you're trying to install a different motherboard and processor into, while at the same time, trying not to format and reinstall windows because you don't have an activation or install key?

With a motherboard change, I have never had to great sucess with it. Usually it is nice to redo windows anyway when changing such hardware unless it is just a replacement to the same hardware.

Are you sure their is no windows sticker on the case somewhere? I have never heard of a ligit copy never having a code to go with it.

pcgirl said:
I work on Gateway PC's every day at work, and I've had to format many of them. I've never had to enter the registration key when using the software that came with the machine, so you'll probably be okay.

but im installing a DIFFERENT mobo and cpu into it..... if i reformat with the disc do you think it will refomat?

UPDATE

i just reformated on my comp now and it didn't ask me for a key whatsoever.........will that be the same when i get my new mobo

It wont ask you for your Key, the disk you have will Be an Unattended install with the Key and everything slip-streamed into it. But i'm not sure how it will react to Alien Hardware

Kaso said:
But i'm not sure how it will react to Alien Hardware

Good point, that totally slipped my mind earlier. :beer:

If the WinXP disc ends up not liking the new mobo (which is possible), then the installation process will most likely tank at the start, so a registration code will be the least of your worries. :-/

Back