• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which MOBO to go with a prescott processor???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grifter510

Registered
Hi I just stumble upon 3 mobo can I ask help upon which one to chooice if your running a prescott processor?? for sure overcloking it :D

mobo A - EPOX EP-4PDA5+
mobo B - MSI 865PE Neo-2 PFS
mobo C - ABIT IS7-E2

all mobo are based on intel 865PE chipset...

thanks

If you got $180, go with the Abit IC7-MAX3, It's one of the best for the prescott and it's good for overclocking, and it's based on the 875 instead of 865. If you're on a cheaper budget then I don't know what I would go with.

I agree with syx

the ic7 is a great board but if you are on a budget I would go with the MSI 865 Neo Series
Great stable overclocking board with lots of options

Dave

I've seen the most Prescott success stories with the Abit IC7 series. The i865 chipsets have a wimpier power circuitry. The MSI severely restricts Prescott vcore. If you are on a budget and can get by with only 2 SATA channels and no LAN, then get the plain jane IC7. For just a little more cash, you can step up to the IC7-G which has 4 SATA channels and Gigabit LAN.

what do u guys think of the p4p800? compared with the ic7. it can be found for around $50 refurb

That's still an i865 chipset. You need to step up to an Asus P4C800 for the i875. Depends on what your overclocking goals are. If you are picking up a 2.4A Prescott for cheap and don't plan on pushing it past 3.0 to 3.2 gig, any of those you mentioned will work fine. If you are getting an 800 bus "E" Prescott and hoping to go for a big O/C, then my advice is spring for a little better board.

That's still an i865 chipset. You need to step up to an Asus P4C800 for the i875. Depends on what your overclocking goals are. If you are picking up a 2.4A Prescott for cheap and don't plan on pushing it past 3.0 to 3.2 gig, any of those you mentioned will work fine. If you are getting an 800 bus "E" Prescott and hoping to go for a big O/C, then my advice is spring for a little better board.

yes but can't the p4p800 be flashed with a hacked bios to turn it into a p4c800? or is there some big hardware differences?

The power mosfets are wimpier on i865 chipsets and Prescotts suck a lot of power.

As far as the Epox, it's a pretty good mobo, but don't handle the Prescott that well. Ask Deathstar, he had one and had trouble with his Prescott on it, so he got rid of it and got an Abit IC7 instead.

batboy said:
The power mosfets are wimpier on i865 chipsets and Prescotts suck a lot of power.

As far as the Epox, it's a pretty good mobo, but don't handle the Prescott that well. Ask Deathstar, he had one and had trouble with his Prescott on it, so he got rid of it and got an Abit IC7 instead.
yeh ask me ! lol
i had the epox p4ca3+ and it sucked badley.far as i know epox even discontinued them.
the 865 version they make is supoosedly better but ive never used it as im still mad at epox for all the crap they pulled with the p4ca3+ on me.

i had to buy another mobo today as i smoked my last ic7 with my prescott torure device i use.i bought another one i liked it so well.
i dont feel this is what everyone will run into either as i do run them hard myself.
ive not seen the best oc's comeing from 865 mobos either and thats on C chips.i dont think any 865 mobo can handle a prescott effectivly.

there are only 2 choices imo the ic7 series and the asus p4c800e series.
and even at that the asus tendsto need a vdroop mod just to keep the vcore from spazzing out in most cases with prescotts.

i didnt choose an asus today as for 1 they cost alot more usually.and number 2 the mosfets are half the size and i want the best mobo for the job.

ocing prescotts is NO joke. ive seen more mobo deaths in just normal ocing let alone extreme ocing that its a big challenge to run one.unless your into a big challenge id look elsewhere like a C chip.

Back