• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Critique my planned setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drs499m

Registered
1. Water Block White Water, poly topped from d-tek
2. I was thinking the Eheim 1250 for a pump, but things have changed since I did the research 6 months ago. I was hoping for some input.
3. Radiator/heatercore: sticky situation here, I was thinking dual 120, but I can't do anything to this case since I sort of have a dispute over the charges for it. So, I can't mod it, but I can't afford a new one. Well, not untill my next paycheck that is anyhoo.
4. Tubing: clearflex60 10ft Yes, I know 10 feet is more than I actually need but it is the same price as 8 feet so what the heck?
5. I'll probably use a t-line.
6. Fans: open to suggestions, preferably something quiet.
7. A GPU block will probably added sometime in the near future so I'm open to suggestions.
8. Thermal paste: Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique?

Yes, I read the sticky on the additives, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I was hoping for something that doesn't smell, and is preferably clear or blue. Now, that sticky didn't mention much in the ways of things to keep the system free of germs and algae. I thought you could use a small amount of windshield washing fluid to solve that. Please correct me if im wrong.

I also heard good things about the Laing D4, but I dont know if the PSU could take the load. I have a 350 watt Antec, it's a true power I believe.

I was planing 1/2" ID tubing for the whole loop.

And finally, one last question, my northbridge and a few other items are fairly close to my socket on the motherboard. Heres a link to a picture of it. I was wondering if you guys thought that these things could prevent me from mounting the block.

Laing D4 will be fine on the PSU unless your have a bunch of other stuff and even then it would be "The straw that broke the camels back"

Get zerex protector, clear and odorless, made to protect so use very little about 5%.

I wouldnt worry about stuff growing, mix up your coolant and if you see stuff start to grow then do something, I havent seen any growth in the systems that i have seen first hand.

If you want NB water cooling wait until you have experience with WCing to make that decision. It is gonna add alot of hassel and you can always add it later.

I was planning to wait for the GPU cooling, I was wondering if the NB would get in the way of the waterblock for the cpu. The zerex stuff sounds like what I was looking for, thanks for the information. I realize now I should of posted whats running of the PSU, so here goes.
1 optical drive CD-RW
2 hard drives
6 case fans, which is why water cooling looked like such a good option.
2 12" cathodes
And of course a graphics card

i suggest you get the aluminum top instead of poly top, this will assure no leaking unlike poly top. also i think the mcp600 and the aquaextreme 12v pumps are great.
i have the silverprop fusion hl gpu block and i love it and i think you should use AS5.
i heard that the zerex stuff actually will make your tubes cloudy even though it is clear. search it and read up b4 you decide to get it

Wouldn't a mix of copper and aluminum in the loop be bad? I recall something about corrosion. Can that be stopped with an additive that prevents corrosion?

Antifreeze thats what it was! Thanks for reminding me. So I think the Laing D4 would be a good pump. Any suggestions as far as heatercores and fans go? And any idea if the mobo components will interfere with the water block?

So a revised parts list
1. White Water block from D-tek
2. Laing D4
3. Radiator/heatercore: still hoping for suggestions.
4. 10ft of clearflex60
5. Fans: ideas anyone?
6. AS5 <-- haha I love that abbr....

go for the dtek jr-120 heatercore
its cheap and good as if not better than BIX
and for the fan i have a panaflo medium speed, but i have seen that a lot of ppl like the evercool aluminum fans

I second the Jr120.

Small size (relatively), good performance, low cost.

Plus when you want to upgrade, and you will eventually catch that bug, you need something inexpensive to move up to (fedco 2-199). Having a spare jr120 around also opens lots of possibilities with dual loops.

Last edited:
The place that sold the case is now out of business, just found out today, so I don't think modding it will be a problem anymore. I probably will catch the upgrade bug, I always do. Now that the mod ban has been lifted on the case I'd like to know if that changes your opinion on the radiator issue. I'm also going to ask about the items around the socket on the motherboard causing a problem again.

Had a jr120 with dual (Dtek)shrouds and dual 120's @7v.

Switched over to the Fedco 2-199/cardboard shroud and temps dropped around 1-2C. However the airflow around the new core isn't as good as the Dtek due to my small case. And I'm not using 4 fans in a push pull, just the same two fans in a push format (small case).

I would bet the performance could be closer to 2-4C in an optimal situation.

So what your saying is the single 120 rad is good enough but the dual 120 is better if you can fit it :) . I think that solves that question.

So what your saying is the single 120 rad is good enough but the dual 120 is better if you can fit it

You didn't hear this from me, but I've heard that there exists an even better combination....

Guderian looks around suspiciously, then whispers

the single 120 rad AND the dual 120

Evil grin

But don't say anything, lest the flow restriction flamers hear, and rain their firey hatred upon us...

Seriously though. If you buy an unmodded chevette core (single) its still more expensive than the Bonnyville 77 core (dual). That being said... the bonnyville was a ***** to mount compared to the chevette ( at least in my case (damn Pun)).

Last edited:
Haha
Now all thats left to do is get hold of those darn parents for the credit card use permission :(

Hopefully I'll be ordering sometime this weekend.

I have to charge my digicam batteries too for pics :)

I'd buy the heatercore from a local autoparts place but I lack the tools and time to replace the barbs :(

Yea I read through that, it didn't seem too hard. The time is really the main concern because of life and a few things in that. Damn you real life :(. Thanks for the help too man.

Back