• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp wont boot after 2k install *urgent*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amazon10x

My mom has a compaq presario 700 with xp home installed on it. I made a seperate patition for 2k and installed 2k and now xp wont boot. It gives some error about some file missing in /windows/system32/config/systemd

Now i need this to boot even if it requires deleting the 2k installation. I only have an xp pro cd and a 2k cd. The only xp home cd i have is the quickrestore one that came with the laptop. I have heard that I can't repair an xphome install with an xppro or 2k CD.

Any help appreciated. I NEED THIS FIXED.

Ok, apparently I can repair the xp install with some bootdisks off of MS's site. I'll try that and then post the results

EDIT: CRAP! Just remembered that the computer doesn't have a working floppy drive. 😠 :cry:

This is nothing you did this is just the quirk of MS. The rule of thumb is that the older OS has to go on first, you can try and boot into your XP CD and when it gets to the welcome to setup hit F10 or r which will give you the recovery consol. What you want to do is log in and type help. You will see a bunch of commands, you want to type fixboot and then exit. You can also try fixmbr then exit if fixboot dosent work.

Back