• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions on Budget Watercooling anyone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma.xL

Registered
I'm totally new to watercooling, in fact I've never done it. I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on what to buy for a watercooling setup. I'm mainly interested in just cooling the processor. I need something simple and easy, and something that won't burn a hole in my pocket. I'm not all that much into making stuff on my own either, but if theres something I can do an easy mod to and make taht work that's cool.

How much do you want to spend on it? Some consider sub-$100 budget, some sub-$150.

Anywho, a decent really cheap setup would go something like this:

$15 via aqua pump
$20 Chevette heater core (or $25 for a Dtek core if you want it to be easy)
$40 Swiftech 6002
$10 120mm fan of some kind. The aluminum Evercool ones are nice.
$15 tubes and misc fittings.

good luck
i have been puting money back for my water cooling but i have read alot of info and i am not going to water cool with junk you know better to save and pay for the better stuff that will perform

Enigma.xL said:
I'm looking to spend 100$ tops
Honestly, you are better off saving a few more bucks and getting good quality components that will last you. The Swiftech 6002 is the block I would get right now, no matter the price, the fact that it is considered budget is just a bonus. I would personally stay away from the via pumps... go ehiem or Laing (12v) and you wont need to deal with a pump for a long time. Then all you need is a rad and some tubing.

Also, spend a LOT of time reading in this section. I see too many people who go ahead and purchase the parts, then come back on here to ask "so what do I do now?". Buying quality parts like nikhsub1 said is also a very very good investment. I bought "cheap" stuff and ended up replacing them with better parts anyways; save yourself the money in the long run. Do it right the first time.

Find an old thrown away washing machine and get the pump off it with the pump fittings. Plug it into 220V and see how that goes (or 110V if ur in US i think). Then get an old caar radiator from some wreckers or again, find one in the rubbish tip :D

That is what I am going to do anyways. I just need a cheap waterblock now and looks like swiftech is the go.
Anyone knows good budget GPU block? Or can I get two CPU blocks and mod one to fit the GPU?
Ta

I agree with these guys in putting out a little more and get good stuff. Here are my suggestions:

-DD D4 pump (get it at voyeurmods.com for $68.95 at the moment)
-'77 boneville heater core with a/c at autozone for $17.99 or chevette heater core as suggested above for one 120mm fan setup. Make a custom shroud for $1.00 (metal sheet at home depot).
-2X120mm fans (I bought 2 panaflo for about $8 each)(or one if use chevette heater core)
-Swiftech 6002
-Clearflex 60 tubes (about $11 including shipping for 10' from McMaster)
-T fitting for about $1.50 or so at home depot or home made reservoir for less than $8.00
-hose clamps (autozone have these at 4 for $2.00).

From here, you can add a gpu block later when you have enough money.

Last edited:
Water cooling isn't cheap. You can't expect to pay 100 dollars and get better performance than the best heatsink. If you want silence, then invest in quiet fans instead.

Bombermansl said:
Find an old thrown away washing machine and get the pump off it with the pump fittings. Plug it into 220V and see how that goes (or 110V if ur in US i think). Then get an old caar radiator from some wreckers or again, find one in the rubbish tip :D

That is what I am going to do anyways. I just need a cheap waterblock now and looks like swiftech is the go.
Anyone knows good budget GPU block? Or can I get two CPU blocks and mod one to fit the GPU?
Ta

Would you really trust the pump of an old washing machine?

Keep in mind that pump failure is a big no no you want to avoid. I personally would rather spend the extra money in a good pump then having to second guess myself.

jlin453 said:
Would you really trust the pump of an old washing machine?

Keep in mind that pump failure is a big no no you want to avoid. I personally would rather spend the extra money in a good pump then having to second guess myself.
Not to mention the fact that they are probably not rated for constant duty.

Back