• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC temps are High

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nocturnx

Registered
I just finished my water cooling setup. My idle temp is 48c and load at about 60c. I was getting just as good temps with air cooling. Is something wrong? Im running a P4c cpu and a 9800 Pro vid card.
WC parts:
Swiftech 5000-P
Hydor L20 II
Danger Den Maze 4 GPU block
Pro Rad 120
bay rez
Arctic Silver 3

I have it set up:
Pump > Rad > cpu block > gpu block > Rez > pump
Its a 1/2" setup
Is it possible I used too much anti freeze in the mix? I think i did about 1/4 anti-freeze and 3/4 distilled water.

What board? I would think you need to reseat the block. Is the rad warm to the touch? have any kinks in the tubing? more info and a pic would help too.

Here is a link to pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/nocturnx

My mobo is a MSI 875P Neo LSR. The rad feels cooler than room temp and the cpu and vga waterblocks feel cold. There are no leaks or kinks, I just tried tilting the case back and forth and side to side to see if there was more air, I didnt see any bubbles.

The cpu block is fairley used and I relapped it. When I opened it up it was not shiny and like it oxidized slightly but it was still looking in good condition from what I could tell. Could that be a problem? I added more distilled water to it. Now its idling at about 46c. The pump feels warm, but I guess that would be normal.

take the 90's off the res, or remove the res altogther.

also... did you mode the front intake from the quad 80 setup? if not, mod it to a 120 and get a push pull going on. with that grill you are probably pulling alot of hot case air through the rad.

otherwise cut the hole get some kind of shroud going from it to the rad, or cut the whole thing out and mount the rad flush with the outside of the case (not bezel). looks like theres a gap in the second to last pic.

The 120mm delta fan I have shrouded to the rad is blowing in onto it. Your right I still have quad 80 setup on the front intake. I left a small gap behind the rad so that the air blowing through has a place to escape and is not blowing straight against the front. I do have another 120mm delta laying around, I guess Ill try flipping around the current one and add the other one to the other side in a push/pull config. I dont think I can cut out the front of my case to set the rad flush though.

Last edited:
I think what's happening here is weak pump. The pump is rated for 50" ~ 4.16' head. The 9800pro also supposidly get very hot. So with very low flow and increased heat from the video card, you get hot temps.

I currently have an eheim 1048 which is a weak pump rated 4'11" head and when I add just a couple feet of tubing temps went up quite a bit. Though my pump is completely silent.

Oh yeah and you really only need 10% antifreeze if that. I run like 5% antifreeze through my swiftech 5000 and it hasn't had any corrosion.

hmm well if the temps dont lower with the extra 120mm delta fan then I may have to look for a better pump and a newer cpu block maybe.

Added pics of the rad and front.

Sucking air in from outside will result in lower cpu temps but will increase your case temp a bit. but you have the dual 80s in the back which will help sucking that hot air out.

The push pull lowered my temps by 1-2C, and I had a 3C change when I started pulling air in from the outside.

The flow makes a 90 degree turn from the tubing into the res, and then again as it goes out. If you can mod it you might try getting some straight barbs instead. as it is now, the water has to make 2 180 degree turns (180 with the barbs, and 180 in the res.).

That being said, I have a feeling that if you cut out the front grill, and set up a push/pull sucking in outside air, you will be much more satisfied with your cpu temps

I completely forgot... I had some problems with my 5002 mounting and the tubing putting strain on the block.

in pic 7 it looks like the tube from the rad is slightly bent at the block, it might be causing your block to not be flush with the IHS

Oh I didn't even see the res... yeah you have a lot of restriction for that pump.

You don't need to change the WB though, should be fine. Though you could drop 3°C or so by spending another $50....

Thought Id give an update. I reapplied artic silver 3 and reseated the cpu block. I made the tube connecting from the rad to the cpu block longer so its not bent so much at the barb. I added more distilled water and put the extra 120mm delta fan I had on the rad in a push/pull configuration. My temps now sit around 40-43c.

So you think a new cpu block and pump will lower the temp even more? So like a swiftech mcp pump and the swiftech mcw-6002, would it be worth the $120?

have you changed the liquid. I agree when Dumpalump mentioned that you only need 10% and you are using 25%. The problem I find with antifreze is that it's viscosity actualy slows water flow and can actualy raise your temps when to much is used. I personaly like waterwetter at 10-15%

just my 2 cents

nocturnx said:
So you think a new cpu block and pump will lower the temp even more? So like a swiftech mcp pump and the swiftech mcw-6002, would it be worth the $120?

The question you have to ask yourself is, does spending $130+ on lower temps worth it? You said your temps are around 43C right now, depending on your overclock that's not bad. Are you looking to overclock as much as possible? If so, yes having as low of a temperature as you can will help. If you're satisified with your overclock and since your temp is in an area where you don't have to worry about it overheating, I'd just leave it at that.

Don't spend more money just to obssessively lower the temp by 5C when at the end it's just a low number to look at. Lessons I've learned :)

Well that temp is without any overclock at all, thats the disturbing part. I guess it is alot of money just to get a lower number, I will drain it some and add more distilled water to it and see if that helps otherwise I guess Im happy with it.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Back