• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bit of a problem here...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Acurax

Hey all...

First of all here's my setup:

Athlon XP Barton 2500+
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2
1gb (2x512) Mushkin PC3200
WD740 Raptor HD
ATI Radeon 9800SE
Antec TruePower 530W
Sony DVDRW

Watercooling:
D-Tek White Whater CPU Block
Swiftech MCW50 GPU Block
Danner Mag 3 Pump
86 Chevette Heater Core

Well, I just got this all running a few days ago with the water, and my temps were OK, a little on the high side. So I decided to remount my waterblock and looking at the thermal paste on the bottom (AS5), it looked as if around 3/4 of the block was making good contact with the CPU core. So I remounted and tried to boot... nothing. I get power, HD spins up, fans and water runnin fine, but no display. No error beeps... nothin. I tried remounting again, no go. Cleared CMOS (a few times), no go. I can't get any sort of picture or sound from this thing to tell me whats goin on. I can't get into BIOS obviously, the only response I get is the light for Num Lock on my keyboard I can turn off and on for a bit and then even that quits responding. Figured maybe my CPU is overheating and freezing b4 anything could happen, but I'm not sure. Also thought maybe I damaged my CPU, but all looks fine. I'll keep remounting/clearing CMOS, but I'm not sure what else I can do right now.

Anyone have any ideas of what happened or what to do?

Did you try cleaning the CPU with a solvent? I think that getting some thermal grease on the chip may cause problems (depending on where it lands, of course.)

I used some stuff from Home Depot called QD Contact Cleaner. It's where the equipment wiring is (network, stereo, tv, etc.) That stuff blows away any thermal grease but doesn't mess with the conductive paint on my L5 bridge (that's the XP-to-MP mod.)

Sometimes cases do strange things. Take it all out of the case, lay it out on the floor and try it there.

Hello,

Another idea is the screws that hold the mount on are hitting the MOBO. mine does this everytime and it took me about 2 times to realize what it was. I need to put some super glue on mine to keep them from turning out. Just an idea. Good luck

Lotec25

Back