• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how many volts is too much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BIB

default is 2.6v. What would be a safe amout to give it if you would like to keep the ram around for a while.
Right now i am at 2.7v (2.75 from the abit program) priming to see if i am stable at 400mhz, which i am not at stock volts.

I always keep mine under 3.0v, so I would 2.9v at the most, assuming the ram has ramsinks or some type of cooling on it. Better safe than sorry I always say. Happy Overclocking!
:)

Matt

Better safe than sorry I always say
Yes, for sure. I have ramsinks on mine, so i dont think 2.75 will do too much harm.

BIB said:
Yes, for sure. I have ramsinks on mine, so i dont think 2.75 will do too much harm.

2.75v should be just fine. Don't go too much farther unless you have to.
Good luck!
:)

Matt

At around 5V you start melting the solder that holds the IC's on the PCB...also at that voltage the small SMD's and caps start to fall off

mrspec3 said:
At around 5V you start melting the solder that holds the IC's on the PCB...also at that voltage the small SMD's and caps start to fall off

Now, that little bit of info wouldn't have come from personal experience, would it???????????

I'd say 3.2v or so is the highest i'd go, with good cooling on the ram though. If they're bare chips, don't =P

Its gonna be different for each setup. I currently have my memory (bare chips) at 2.9v (waiting for DDR Booster) and they are cool to the touch. I can feel a very, very slight hint of heat towards the center, but not much at all.

if u have adequate cooling and ventilation 3/3.2 is reasonable. but the key is using only that amount of volts which benefits the overclok and timings u are seeking..

From personal experience:

3 volts can be fatal if you don't have enough airflow over the ram
3.5 volts can be fine: I ran that way for 6+ months.

I have never had difficulties running up to 2.9 volts in any system of mine, but 3 volts seems to start hitting the danger zone: I suggest making sure you have good airflow- a fan blowing case air directly over the ram- if you want to go to 3 volts or more.

Note that ram can respond differently to increased voltage: some responds well, some may improve fairly little.

Higher voltage is more likely to be detrimental in any case- run at the lowest voltages you can to get the results you want, and keep that air moving. ;)

No chance to do a volt mod, so I've been running my generic hynix at 2.85 with no probs. It's a little warm to touch, but not burning.

What are you trying to accomplishg with more voltage?

Back