• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happening?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gustav

Just this evening ive noticed things have been uninstalled from my computer. I havent installed them and no one else in my family has access to my computer. Call of Duty, Aida32, Aol Instant Messenger are just a few that have been uninstalled. Is this a virus or what? Whats wrong with it? Anyone else ever have this problem?

But how? I use to run VNC so me and my friend could use eachother's computer, but i dont run that anymore. Ive done remote assistance with msn, but i didnt have that on and besides, i have to accept it. i password my account and i dont think anyone in my family would do that even if they did have the password. so that must mean someone is hacking my computer, but im over a router with a hardware firewall plus i run norton internet security which has a firewall and anti-virus.

Are you sure they are uninstalled or perhaps did the icons just vanish? Next are you sure Windows Explorer didnt crash and restart without the running applications visiblew in the task bar? Reboot? System Restore??

Z

gustav said:
Just this evening ive noticed things have been uninstalled from my computer. I havent installed them and no one else in my family has access to my computer. Call of Duty, Aida32, Aol Instant Messenger are just a few that have been uninstalled. Is this a virus or what? Whats wrong with it? Anyone else ever have this problem?

Sounds like remote desktop is enabled. Turn that guy off.

If you do plan to use VNC, (Real VNC or Tight VNC) make sure you have SSH running, and that the VNC server points to that SSH Server. So no one has access.

Cygwin is a good SSH server program only if you plan to access your pc remotely.

You check your port activity or logs on your firewall whether it is software (Zone Alarm, Tiny Firewall) or hardware based (Linksys, Dlink, Netgear?)

You also run any trojan scanners? Hi Jack this, The Cleaner(Moosoft), spy bot search and destroy?

Google these items above to find websites for them.

Last edited:
ive run spyware and it turned up nothing, virus scan has done the same.

for some reason (i dont know why) explorer crashes on me a lot. ill be doing something with stuff on my hard drives and it will freeze, ill send the error report and then it will come back up. i dont know if that has anything to do with it...

also, its not just icons that are missing, whole folders were gone from program files. not only that, but program files was write protected (read only). i tried changing the folder individually with no luck, so i changed the whole program files folder and its subfolders and it worked. i then installed the programs that were "uninstalled" and it works fine now. weird...if it happens again im gona be ****ed lol.

It sounds like somehow your computer did a system restore, make sure that those programs are actually uninstalled(check program folders, registry, add/remove programs, etc), as far as windows explorer crashing alot, that happens to me alot and it sucks, windows usually crashes a while after this happens to me.

Syx said:
It sounds like somehow your computer did a system restore, make sure that those programs are actually uninstalled(check program folders, registry, add/remove programs, etc), as far as windows explorer crashing alot, that happens to me alot and it sucks, windows usually crashes a while after this happens to me.

That sometimes may be the case, but do not trust anything your OS does. You are in control, so back up your important files, reformat. Partition the drive so that you have a C and a D drive or more, for that you can keep your important files (Documents, game saves etc) on a different partition.

You can try Norton Windoctor to see if it repairs anything. (I am assuming if you have Norton System Works 2004). Or that if you go to system restore, you can back track to the last state that you have known that your machine has worked.

Unless you decided to clean out all restore points in your disk clean up process. :(

Back