• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heater Core search - need some assistance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fubulg6000

I've been looking for a good heater core that is copper and can fit a 120mm shrouded fan. I read that 89 camaro and chevette cores are good because they're made of copper, but I purchased a 89 camaro heater core and it was made entirely of brass. I don't know if I purchased an A/C version because I wasn't specific with the Autozone employee, which didn't seem too happy when I asked him if he could search through the back for a certain style heater core.

Can anyone suggest an excellent heater core, made entirely out of copper, with no kinks in the inlet and outlet? The 89 camaro heater core that I purchased, with the intention of modding, didn't appeal to me as much because of all the work required. So can anyone help me?

Type of heater core:
Copper heater core with straight inlet and outlet (I can trim them down if they are very long)
Dimension constraints:
8"H x 7"L x 2"W

This is a repost because I accidentally placed the other post in the general cooling section. I figured it would disappear very soon.

From what I read on what one of the veteran's posts (Weapon), he stated that there is no difference in performance between a brass heater core and a copper heater core. It's just that the brass heater core may give you a little trouble in modding the inlet and outlet that is all. I purchased the fedco 2-302 ('77 boneville with ac) which is a brass heater core and the inlet and outlet are curved. Since the tubes are 1/2" OD, I just cut the tube before the bend and my tubing fit perfectly without further modding.

Unfortunately the fedco 2-302 is larger than what you require.

I don't believe there's any 'pure' copper HC out there. Copper is very fragile, and would require very thick inner tubing to prevent leaks (which is why the tubing is brass, with copper fins).

Everyone's weapon of choice around here seems to be a Chevette HC, which should be near your dimensions.

I have the Fedco 2-302 (77' boniville heatecore) If you cant or dont want to use 2 x 120mm fans, I would suggest a 77' Chevete heatercore

77 boniville is all copper if any wanted to know but you have to ask them for it i got mine at advance auto for 16 bucks and it works great

Well, I managed to **** off the autozone clerk to the point where I need to go to another autozone to actually do a return. I would be angry as well if I had to retrieve 4 heater cores and actually do 2 returns. There is another autozone about 4 miles away so there is no problem.

The current heater core that I have (FEDCO 2-150) doesn't fit my case even though the dimensions that were stated in the heater core catalogue were within my requirements. I found out the hard way that the bottom and top tubing is not included in the listed dimensions. I won’t have any problems the next time I go.

Back